"Photoshop CS browser no iso, shutter, apeture with jpgs"

biotime_biotime

When using the built in browse feature in PhotoShop CS browsing

unmodified nefs and jpgs either on the card or copied to my HD, I

notice that NEFS provide all the iso, shutter, apeture, lens, and a

couple of other EXIF paramenters while the jpgs (large-fine)are

missing these important them. Anyone know why?

Hudson

One way to check is to use any other image browser to see whether EXIF info is in these JPGs. It should. If not, it may be a problem with Nikon cameras?

If you do not have another image browser, download Ifranview plus all plugins for free, then hit Alt-I / I to get image information. There should be an EXIF button on the bottom of the form.

If you want to preserve EXIF information, you should extract it, since there's been a lot of discussion about EXIF information being incorrectly updated or changed by multiple programs. The best way to extract it is by using ImageMagick, another free program. Write a 3-line batch, e.g.

for i in *.jpg

identify -verbose i > i.exif

next

or replace -verbose with -format "%[EXIF:*]" to get just the EXIF info. Works for me; I do this all the time

I just checked PS CS file browser with D70 jpgs and the metadata lists shutter speed,

aperture, focal length, max aperture, white balance and a lot of other parameters, but

not ISO. I use a Mac G4.

Open the file in CS and check File>>File Info>>Advanced>>EXIF Properties. All EXIF

data should be there.

ISO settings are stored in the proprietary MakerNote-field in the EXIF-information and not in the ususal ISO-field on the NEFs from the D70 (and possibly other Nikon DSLRs). My guess is that PC CS only shows the ISO-field.