hi,

it's our first small business tax time. we live in seattle. can

anyone recommend a good accountant to help us figure everything out

and get us running in the right direction? i would love someone who

has worked with photographers before (ie. depreciation on things

like cameras). thanks so much!

and any other advice so that i won't pull my hair out? :P

jen

My mom is a tax preparer for H and R block too, not is seatle though. She does mine for me, and seems to know a lot. (Doesn't mom know everything?) I know they also have "rookies" there, to handle the easy filers. So, make sure you let them know you need someone experienced.

Most depreciation is pretty standard. Tell them that you purchase photo equipment and they will advise you to depriciate cameras etc. Careful to depreciate only what you have to because in many states once you declare equimenet, it then becomes taxable under your business property tax(at least in SC).

I would stay as far away from hr block as I could. Typically when you go there this time of year you end up getting someone who is just working there during tax season. Most are not professionals. They just punch in what ever data you give them. Find an accountant that handles small businesses.

I would do what I did. Call a few CPAs and ask for a consult. Most will do it for free. I talked to 3 before I found the right guy. His daughter has a photography business, and does her taxes. He knows his stuff, he's a partner in his own firm. He isn't cheap, but as he said: "it will be done right in the first place". You also might call some local photographers and ask who they use. That's how I found my lawyer.