Rebel D with 70-200/4.0L

s_hassan

Any known problems and how common. I have read at multiple places

that this lens when used with digitals back focuses in the left side

of the picture.How common is that.(supposedly it doesnt happen with

the 2.8 version?). Any other comments on other problems between

rebelD and 70-200/4.0 ?

I dont think it is related to the rebel combo specifically, more to this lens. Have read various reports (including film and 10d users) of 4l's having uneven focus in the picture. I had a 70-200 4l that had the same problem. Seems that Q/C for that lens hasnt always been the best or something. Plenty of happy users of the lens as well (I sold mine though, also because I no longer needed the range and got faster glass).

Yes, there have been a few problems reported, but relative to the total number of lenses sold I think the last blanket statement you or anyone can make is it is a wide-spread or even common problem. There have not been dozens of this lens sold- it's been in the several thousands- how many articles have you read about this problem- 3 or 4? Does that constitute a big problem? I think there's plenty of reviews on this lens you can read at places like photographyreview.com and Photozone that shows the vast majority of lenses out there are first-rate image makers.

If you want the lens, buy it. Shoot it. Chances are you will get a very nice lens and be very happy with it. If, by some VERY slight chance, you get a lens with a problem, RETURN it and get another one.

What are your options if you don't buy this lens? Well, you could buy the 75-300 IS lens that, if you are lucky and it is the best one Canon has ever made, still is not as good optically as any 70-200 f4L, or you could spend twice the money for a 70-200 f2.8 or three times the price and get a 70-200 f2.8 IS.

I agree with Greg. Not just that, but if you've got one and its fine you don't go about posting about how cool it is that it doesn't have a back focus problem. The posts only come from those that do have problems further distorting the issue.

So sure there may be a few out there with a slight focus problem and you may end up with one. Maybe you should be a lottery ticket as well, play the odds. And look at the number of recalls that go out on cars. Something that could potentially put your health at risk, and it never stops people buying them.

My 70-200 f/4L on my Rebel D works perfectly and is a wonderful lens that I'd never hand back. Go ahead, you won't regret it.

I do have 85/1.8, however I wanted to get a lens with rebel D mostly for outdoor photography. and thought 70-200 4.0 would be as good as 2.8 at least for outdoor photography (like Disney etc.) I think I might spend extra money to buy another 50/1.4 with 70-200/4.0 instead of paying for 70-200/2.8 unless 70-200/4.0 has has been having commonly known problems with digital bodies.

I apprecite everybody's response. This forum is so helpful. Probably as good as reading a photography text.

I have a question for Marcus.

What settings do you find 70-200/4.0 useful for? and secondly

are you satisfied with the Bokeh it produces if you use it for the portraits etc?

thanks again

SH