Bridal Show this weekend

michelle_sternberg

I am not a wedding photographer, but I have been to a bridal show recently and saw a booth that was very interesting. What they had done was gone to one of those electronic rental places and rented 2 plasma tv's. On the one tv they had a slideshow of their work playing facing the crowds walking around. They also had a little corner setup with a simple backdrop and some lights and had someone there taking pictures of interested people with a digital and having the pictures show up on the big plasma. I thought this was a really neet idea since they could then show the prespective customers how they can take pictures and even show them some of the image manipulation and correction they can do with programs like photoshop. People really seemed to like it due to its interactivity. But the staff there looked like they were about to pull their hair out :P

I've never done a wedding show, but a very sucessful photographer in the area who told me this. He would set up a booth, and anyone who booked a wedding with a deposit THAT DAY, would get their name in a basket. At the end of the day he would draw out one for a FREE wedding. I'm not sure if I'm that corageous, but it sounds fun to try!

Here's what I wrote. Hope it helps you.

Each of us has our own ingredients when presenting our services to potential clients. Here are some ideas that may help you.

1. Right now, during this Holiday week, go to any mall and walk around the various stores and be sensitive as to how people greet you and how they approach you trying to sell you something. Since you will have your own booth, if you can, go to the various kiosks and see what happens.

2. Take mental notes and then after you leave the person trying to sell you something, write the things used that made you interested and write down the things that turned you off.

After sometime doing this go home. Review your notes. What did you learn?

What are your goals at the wedding show?

When I attend a wedding show all I want to do is stimulate interest and perhaps arrange a future date and time for a meeting.

3. Write an outline out of how you would approach your potential clients.

The two best words to use in sales to get someone interested in your services is say, "I've got something free. Or I've got something new." The free can be a brochure on your services, a CD, or something you dream up that will break the ice and get someone to unfold themselves and talk to you.

4. Once you get your outline complete practice. Practice in front of a mirror, with a friend, with family. Have them review you. See how you can do better. Another thought is to video tape your presentation and review. You probably will say, "Gosh that doesn't sound like me!"

5. What will you have in your booth? Albums, framed pictures, printed material like flyers, cards and brochures; a computer with an LCD for a show? I'd suggest to keep it simple.

I hand out printed material I've created here on my home computer. I have several hundred of each thing I will give out. I also make CD's to give out to people who show an interest in my work. I take a couple of wedding albums and have several framed pictures in my booth to dazzle their eyes!

6. How will your booth look? What furnishings will you have there to welcome any potential clients? At the least, I'd have a couple of chairs and a table. Take a peek at Bambi Cantrell's book and in the last chapter she discusses what she has at the shows she attends.

The more time you spend preparing for your show the better your chances are of success. In Minneapolis I spend about $1200.00 in booth expense to attend an 8 hour show. In addition I have other costs including my own time preparing and working a show to the materials I bring to the show to give out, the pre-show marketing and sales costs.

Talk to the people at Pictage as they attend several trade shows each year.

This can be an expensive proposition. It does give your business exposure and you will mingle with other vendors; but just a little on the mingling side because your primary purpose is to be in your booth, smiling and waiting for all the happy brides to stop by and get interested in your photography business. If you get 10 weddings from a show then this cost needs to be considered when working on a P/L of each wedding gig.

On the day of the show, smile & relax because you've prepared yourself and now it's time to have some fun!

Hope this helps you as I've participated in several hundred trade shows during my business years and I want you to be one of the people who is successful and profitable because of your participation in each one.

Michelle, I was just going to ask the same question and I saw yours. I am going to be in a bridal show in the next month and I am curious about the displays people use in their booth. Do you buy/rent professional displays? or use backdrops? I am looking for any ideas, the more creative the better. Good luck Michelle, hope you do well!