Badger version of Toho

pete_biro

Pete, the badger m2 is much more than the Gowland 4x5. I owned a gowland almost allmoves, except the back tilt was limited, and learned by it. the camera I had and suspect the others have no zero position mark for any movements, yet gowland make available wonderful movements. having no zero position mark the gowland is very unpredictible. I bought the Badger m2 and I like it.? Although, be careful, I knocked the back bellows out of glued position in a corner while working under a cliff and glued it back myself. This was my fault but made me realise that the camera is very fragile. Also I have had problems with the focusing knob. It comes out of position. Yet this may also be my fault. I have found that this is caused by not loosening the locking knob enough even when it seems like enough.

Anyway, I guess you read Kerry Thalman's review of the toho. which is the badger m2 original. If you want to pack it into the wilderness then get it and use it.

Just be careful with the focusing knob and the bellows protection(dah). It is rigid enough if your carful enough, I haven't had a problem with the alignment yet I was used t the Gowland.

I use a 135mm and a 240mm lens, will next get a 75mm and expect very limited movements.

I have expirience with both the Gowland and the Bader m2 and am answering this late at night after an unsobering and will be glad to ansrew more later. If you wnt to know more I'll gladly anserw later. ryan s.

Thanks for the input ryan. Well, caution to the wind ... an m2 is on its way. I'll post my impressions. Badger has a couple demo's for 650.00 ... get em quick before they are gone. At that price i thought i'd get one quick.

Pete

Pete, I have a Toho and also had problems with the focusing knob moving. I learned to wiggle the back standard as soon as I met resistance while tightening down the focusing knob. Then. I fine focus again before tightening down the final bit.

I purchased a Maxwell screen and had it installed immediately and have been very happy with it. What Mr. Maxwell will tell you is that there are two different backs with the Toho, each requiring a different sized spacer. If you are interested in one of his screens you might contact him to see if he has put one on the Badger version. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.