Can I see some light sphere wedding shots?

derek_c.

Derek- let me just warn you if you need this thing very soon. I ordered 2 on December 10 and I just got them on January 18. In between I tried to email him and cancel the order but he said they had shipped. So now I'm sending them back!

The people in the background refused to get out of the way! I really like the lightsphere so far. It is simple to use although a maybe a little large. The light seems to be distributed pretty evenly. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

Ed McCulloch

I like it enough that I won't shoot without it and hope it's viewed as a fad, goofy, or just

too bulky by my local competition.

One of the nice things about the LS is the shape of the highlights. Even if you get a

reflection off a window, mirror, or whatever, the round shape makes it blend and not be

offensive. Great for detail shots.<div>00AseH-21510484.jpg.43e69094dca27c230678d85082d308fe.jpg</div>

I had the chance to join two pro photographers this evening to do some lighting tests in a local church. We had a Light Sphere on a Nikon SB800 flash unit, and we were using it bracket mounted along with Quantum flash units on light stands.

At ISO 400, the Light Sphere barely made a dent as a fill light from anything more than 15 feet away. But it was excellent when used from 3-12 feet away from our model. Anyway, we used it as a main, as fill, and then just turned it off.

I certainly think it's a capable accessory, but like anything else, it has to be used in the right environment. Use it with low white cielings and it's perfect. There is just too much light loss from the back and sides of the unit to be used as a single light source for groups or wedding formals at normal ISOs if there are no low cielings present.

I think it would be wise if a reflector accessory was included that could direct more light forward.

No accessory is perfect - but I liked what I saw. It's quality of soft light output is slightly better than a Stofen plastic softbox. I'd say it's worth the $40 they're asking for it. Just be sure to thoroughly test it before bringing it to a wedding. Also be prepared - it's big and bulky!

Chris, I think the idea behind the LS is to eliminate the bracket all together. I also think it's

suppose to be aimed straight with the dome on when shooting at a distance further than 5

feet. At least that's what I discovered. For bounce, take the dome off and the housing will

provide a bit of fill to avoid those eye and nose shadows you get when closer to the

subject using a steeper bounce angle.

For me it's just to unwieldy when you're also using a bracket. Direct mount flash seems the

only way to use this accessory IMO.

Here's the link to Gary's site.

<a href="http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=3354218&showprevnext=1

">Lightsphere II</a>

It is a direct mount application and, like Marc said, it's supposed to do it all by either turning the flash head or removing the dome. Ugly as sin, but it does seem very useful. I'm getting one! (as she secretly envisions all that good cake she'll be bringing home.)