Lens for NYC?

jakegagne

Hey everyone, first-time poster here. I'm going on a little 2-day trip to New

York City in a few weeks, and can't decide which lenses to bring. I've a Nikon

D50 body, a Sigma 10-20mm, a Nikon 28-80mm, a Nikon 50mm f1.8, and a Nikon

70-300mm. Which lens(es?) should I bring and why?

The 10-20... because, it's freakin' <i>New York,</i> baby! And, the 70-300 for those "Hey, you lookin' at <i>me</i>?" moments (it's nice to have a little room to work). I don't think the 28-80 will be all that helpful... but the 50/1.8 might be nice depending on where you'll be, available-light-wise. I take it no tripod, right?

It depends on what you want to photograph. For cityscapes the 10-22mm and for people shots the 28-80mm is ideal.

Good idea to take gloves that will allow you to shoot the camera with them on. I was in NYC a week ago and it was below 30 degrees in the daytime without factoring in the wind chill off the river.

A tripod is also a good addition.

The 28-80mm will do for a couple of days. If the lens is not long enough, walk closer. If it is not wide enough, back up a bit. If none of the above works, why, you'll just have to go back.

Having spent dozens of weekends in Manhattan, I try to have the simplest kit I can manage.

I personally avoid wide lenses because the streets are so busy that you have to be right on top of your subject to get a tight composition. But, that's my leaning.

not to hijack the thread, but, one could feasibly do NYC with a 24-70 f/2.8 on a 5D and a 70-200 f/2.8 on a 30D ??? maybe bring the 14mm along just in case ???

just curious as my first visit to NYC is coming in June ... and I want to travel "light" ...

Depends on your style. For me, a 24mm (f2.0 or faster) on an FX body would give me the perfect angle of view for NYC. With the D50, your 10-20mm would be the easy choice. I'd bring along the 50mm as well, since it won't take up much room anyway, and I'm almost certain you'd need faster glass than your Sigma.

KL

<p>I would recommend for first time visitor to New York City something wide and something medium. If you are going to be in New York City during an event like a parade, Easter Parade or Mermaid Parade or even going to the Bronx Zoo, you want a telephoto or something that is long.</br></br>

New York City is too diverse that one lens cannot do it all.</br></br>

Bill</br>

<a hef="www.WilliamBert.com">William Bert Photography</a>

• 2 weeks later...