in the following regions, especially remote areas which can be

accessed in a Landrover 4x4:

Umbria - Marchigiano, Gran Sasso - Monti della Laga, Gran Sasso

d?Italia - Appenino Abruzzese - Monte del Matese

I will be driving in from England via Gran Paradiso (Stelvio) and

will be camping or youth hostelling. Regular guide books are ok but

local knowledge is better!

I have read an earlier thread on Firenze and Siena which was

excellent, but additional information would also be useful.

Many thanks

Alan Clayton

Nottingham

England

Hi Alan

I live in the North of Italy and I don't know much about Abruzzo / Marche, but I have some friends there - I'll ask them some suggestions and let you know. What I can tell you for sure is that Abruzzo has some of the most beautiful Parks in our Country, have a look <a href="http://www.regione.abruzzo.it/turismo/en/index.html">here</a> (english available) and <a href="http://www.olografix.org/stefano/index.html">here</a> (plenty of good suggestions from local people, only in Italian), hope it can help. Just a question if you don't mind: what do you mean "I'll be driving in via Gran Paradiso (Stelvio)?". Gran Paradiso and Stelvio are quite far one another. Cheers

I know relatively well the Abruzzi mountain region (but don't you forget the Alto Lazio) and there are plenty of nice areas and spots, but please let me know whether you are planning to treck on foot, or yours is basically a car trip + an occasional short walk. Also: how encoumbered you are in terms of gears (that it, can you carry the whole of it over distances)? Also: the nicest nature areas are now national or regional parks where car circulation is strictly regulated, and indeed some areas (Velino, part of Maiella) are totally sealed off even to people of foot. Unless this is your normal car, picking up a Land Rover 4x4 for this trip doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. It would be a pain in the neck on the highway, and you wouldn't have that many opportunities to drive off road when you are there. Anyway let me know. One last thing: May I assume that you are relatively well equipped with maps etc. so that I can simply point at things, or would you also need a detailed description of where they are?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Emanuele and Bonsignore.

I have been away for a few weeks, sorry about the delay in replying. Your comments are most welcome.

I have a Landrover Discovery which I wil drive to Italy, and lots of camping gear. The plan is to do a lot of short walks, and I have lightweight camera gear as well as heavier cameras.

I do not yet have large scale maps, so I will be searching for these on the internet. Some of your suggestions will fit in with my trip very well. I will post another message soon after I have got back to work here.

One question please: what is the cost of diesel fuel in Italy?

Very many thanks for the moment

Alan Clayton

• 6 months later...
Umbria is beautiful in my opinion and very rugged. The Assisi valley with all the hill towns is stunning as well. Norcia was a beautiful town in Umbria...there is just so much. It is hard to say what you shouldn't miss - you shouldn't miss anything :-)

• 3 months later...