My very first step in digital

tom_bowling1664874721

Hi,

I want to ask for some tyro advice for digital photography. I've got

some slides in 6x6 which I'd like to have scanned and then I'd like

to manipulate them on my PC (probably with Photoshop, but I haven't

bought software yet). Bearing in mind I'm in England, where's a good

place to get this done? There's loads of advice for (esp West Coast)

Americans who want to do this, but could someone suggest a good

quality solution in England? I know this is a dumb question and beg

indulgence from all you experts who are reading this and

thinking 'what?'

John in Essex

Howdy!

I think its a great question....

You have one of the biggest and best suppliers of photographic equipment right in your backyard; Robert White. E-mail them at www.robertwhite.co.uk

or better yet, call them and get involved with your local supplier that has world wide praise.

You could also, possibly get a LT (light version of photo shop) instead of spending a fortune on the full blown version OR possibly take a class at a community college in your area , maybe at night or weekends and use their computers and their training.

cherrio dude!

miles

I think the question was 'where do I get scans done' in which case Robert White isn't the answer. I don't think they sell software either...

Try http://www.dunns.co.uk/ - their ProPhotoCD scanning is good, and it's a cheap way of getting good big files (4000x4000). If you want to scan yourself, read the threads on the Epson 2450 flatbed scanner - it seems like a good cheap way of getting into home MF scanning (and buy the issue of BJP in the shops this week - it has a good review of this scanner). Another alternative is to rent a good scanner for a weekend; the London hire shops (Leeds/Calumet) rent £3000 scanners for £50 to £100 per day (although their opening hours are unhelpfully short).

Also continue searching the archived threads. There's some other recommendations for scanning in the UK. Photoshop is really outside the scope of the MFD - a good way to learn would be to get a book like Martin Evening's 'Adobe Photoshop 6 for Photographers'.

Don't laugh -- I mask my 6x6 slides on a light table and copy them with my Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera. In a few seconds, they're in my computer where I can resize, correct color and brightness, and do about everything else I need to do in an $80 program called ThumbsPlus, which is so easy to use you don't even need a manual to use it.

Unless your pictures are so rare and world-class or money is simply no object for you, spending $15 to $50 per slide (or more) for a top-quality scan seems like overkill.

Think simple! Photoshop isn't just a program, it's a blinking religion. ;-)

(Welcome to Medium Format Digest -- it's good to have you here.)

Mark H.

Thank you one and all for the replies. I like the kludgy solution with the digital camera. Just the sort of thing I would do. Only trouble is, unless I'm willing to buy a rather expensive digital camera to do the kludging with, I'm going to end up with rather rough looking 'scans' Or am I? I bought the BJP and read the article in there. The Epson 2450 certainly looks like a solution. More kit! What a pity Dixons, PCC World etc etc don't have any exemplars! I thought there was a recession. I also see what you mean abt Photoshop. And I thought Microsoft's prices were mean.

Is there anywhere reliable in the Essex London area where I might simply get the photos scanned for me? Or do people just trot along to any old lab for that kind of work? Even if they're relatively expensive, st least some scans would give me something to start tinkering with and find out if I like the process.

Thanks again.