Effect with Mirror

Afternoon Matthew!

My best suggestion would be the following:

If you have an actual physical mirror in mind, photograph that by itself, and then keeping the lighting consisten, photograph your model in the same space. To really simulate the getting sucked in experience, I'd say to have your "Alice" lie down on her stomach on a chair, so that at least half of her body will look like it is horizontal (and you don't have to worry about photoshopping out a bed or something below her.) I'm sure this effect can be done a myriad of different ways, but I hope this one helps (even if it may not be the solution you're looking for)!

Have a great day!

Sean

Well, there's the low-tech approach -- have a professional glass worker cut and edge grind a hole in the mirror, and the model put hand, arm, or torso (as appropriate) through the hole. You'll need something in the composition to block the camera's view behind the mirror, of course, and then expose and process like any other image. Even better, you can easily reshoot with different poses, different costumes, different models, and not have to go through all the post-processing for every image. With clothing selected to cover the cut edge of the mirror glass, this could look very, very realistic -- and could be reversed, for a hand, leg, or head coming out of the glass (perhaps with negative reversed in printing, to show the other side of the mirror...).

Thanks for your reponses. I will try the ideas out as soon as I find my alice. I want to work on photoshop to see if I can do it in photoshop. The other idea I have is to find two models who look like each other but about 25 years diffence in age. and have the older woman looking into the mirror and seeing herself young in the mirror.

Matthew

Get some mylar to use for the mirror. With the hole idea, you can have the mirror distort and look like it's drawing the person in. You can photograph the two different age persons the same way , then swap faces in the mirror in Photoshop.

My 2 cents.