Hi and thanks for looking.

This is my first post, and I am looking for advice on where is a good

place to buy a Canon 100-400mm L IS USM lens during a stop-over at

LAX. I will have a friend pick me up from LAX and drive me wherever I

need to go to get the lens.

I will probably pre-warn them of my purchase and make sure its in shop

when I land.

A secondary question : If I am buying it in shop and will leave the US

for Canada the same day, will I be liable for any taxes?

Thank you in advance

Goose

You will be liable for what ever Taxes Canada charges for a new item. Same as buying it main order from what I have read. Unless you manage to enter it without them knowing it was a new purchase. Do you have other Kit with you it could blend in with?

The box etc. would be a dead giveaway.

The first store that comes to mind is Samy's in Venice - it's only a short drive from LAX.

As far as taxes -- if you mean LA, yes you pay an 8.25% sales tax upon purchase in LA; if you mean Canada, then I don't know.

Goose:

1. unless the store ships the lens out of state there will be sales tax

2. yes US prices are definitely cheaper sometimes less than Canadian dealer cost

3. most photo purchases from US decalred at custom is taxes at GST and PST rate except in Alberta, no PST

4. saw someone with a brand new Leica confisgated and he was fined and fingureprinted for failing to declare purchases made abroad (Vancouver airport) - imagine his trouble everytime he crosses the boarder from now on

5. best bet for LAX layover is to buy lens from reputable NY (Adorama or B&H) an have it shipped to your friend's place - My recommended method

been there, done it and missing real hockey eh!

I saw in a recent post somewhere, someone indicated Samy's had "not charged him tax" on a camera purchase which would more likely meant they discounted further (since it was claimed on a new Maxxum 7D, I have some doubts, there isn't a lot of margin there to start with). There is no indication that that is typical advertised policy. Also, they may or may not give you the "internet" price in the store. It may depend on your salesperson, who knows? I believe Silvio's may also be competitive. Don't know about Bel Aire, I don't usually get over that way to shop.

If you can swing the coordination in advance, shipping from B&H is almost sure to be cheaper than the taxes in SoCal. You're on your own deciding what to do with Canadian customs.