Difference in HP7960 printers?

Mark, I tried their website and couldn't find the information. I'm assuming the difference might just be proprietary to who the distributers are since Sams Club and Costco (199.00) have the w designation. As to why this model, you're gonna think I'm crazy (maybe). I now have the epson 1280 and the color prints are beautiful, I've gotten some nice BO B&W prints from it too but with noticeable microbanding, I just can't get good B&W using the colored inks, always have color casts to them. I'm no computer genius and all the posts here and at yahoo just get me confused so I'm not ready at this time to devote the time to becoming proficient with PS and curves and profiles and layers, etc. Next year I retire and can devote the time to learning this and after that I can get the latest pigment ink 13" printer. Right now I want to get no-brainer B&W prints (B&W is my passion) with little trouble and the write-ups on the HP lead me to believe that this is the one do get now. I will try it and if I'm blown away as others have been, probably sell my 1280, if not I can take it back to the retailer within a few days. You have to admit it's worth a try, especially at that price. Thanks, Bob.

Just thought of a few more reasons, I need a cf card reader, it has one built-in. Printing snapshots without using the computer, that's gotta be nice at times. I find it a bit of a hassle to create a proof sheet now, this does it with the press of a few buttons. Using their limited selection of admittedly expensive Premium Plus paper gives reportedly great print life. And it comes with a seemingly user friendly way to catalog your pics on a cd, right from the printer software. Now the price point looks even better. Bob.

Unfortunately, Bob, I can't help you with your question regarding the model differences. I went through the same search that you've been going through and found the HP web site singularly unhelpful in distinguishing the different printer designations. Given the low price, though, I just went ahead and jumped in with the 7960. (I was even more confused when I opened the box and found the manual for the "HP 7900 Series Printers"; I decided to forgoe the search for information on any other 79xx printers.)

The black and white prints on the HP top-grade paper are gorgeous. Fair warning: when they first come out of the printer they definately have a color cast to them. Give them about four hours to dry and they're completely neutral. I've gotten fantastic results on the HP paper and on Epson ColorLife paper. I haven't tried any of the other Epson papers I have laying about yet. I'll save those for when I have more free play time.

I have three Epson printers and have never had such good B&W results. I'll keep using the Epson 2000P for larger, "archival" color and the Epson 785EPX for some less critical color work, but the more I use the 7960 the happier I am with it. I have an older Epson that's fitted with Quadtone cartridges; the 7960 blows it away. I'm sure that, with a proper RIP and more work, I could get good B&W from any of the newer Epson printers...but the 7960 was completely plug-and-play for me. Now if they only made a wide carriage version...

Dave, thanks for the response. I have a question, there are some concerns with marks left on the prints from spikey wheels in the mechanism, does your suffer from this, did it do it only when it was new, are the marks on the print surface or from underneath, and if it is there is it more noticeable with color, B&W, glossy or matte? Thanks, Bob.

<I>there are some concerns with marks left on the prints from spikey wheels in the mechanism, does your suffer from this, did it do it only when it was new, are the marks on the print surface or from underneath, and if it is there is it more noticeable with color, B&W, glossy or matte? </i><BR><BR>Hi Bob, I've had my 7960 for a few weeks now and I love it for B&W - in fact, I have made more than a few prints that have just blown me away. They are absolutely neutral. On to your questions: I can only recall seeing what I describe as "pizza wheel" marks on 2 prints since I've had it. Both B&W, both on HP Premium Glossy Pro paper. In a day or two, the marks disappeared and 99 percent have had no marks at all. I haven't a clue what made them, but it seemed like they were made from the top down, rather than the bottom up. Apparently the ink swells into these papers and covers them up, at least in my case. I haven't noticed any in quite a while. I hadn't used HP's Premium Matte (plus) paper until the other day. I've made maybe 4 or 5 prints with it and it's very nice, but I'm not sure I would've called this paper "matte". To me, it seems very close to Epson's Premium Semi-Gloss, or at the least Epson Premium Luster paper; it's <I>nothing</i> like Epson's matte papers. I also own an Epson 2200, btw, and the HP7690 is no better than the Epson in the color department. In fact, I'd give a slight color edge to the Epson, but I didn't buy it for color. I don't know about you, but I like glossy paper for B&W. If you do, you'll love this printer. It's not that the matte paper is in any way, bad - I just don't find it "matte-y" enough for me. So far, I've never tried 3rd party papers, but I suspect there will be some that will work well with this printer. I never printed a borderless print with my Epson, due to overspray concerns, also, it's just a PITA with the Epson. With the 7960, I check a box and out comes a beautiful borderless print that almost anyone would think came from a darkroom. My only gripes: It's not built as well as the 2200; the ink and paper cost a fortune; and it'll only print 8 1/2"X11". If and when HP makes a large-format version of this printer, they'll have a big hit on their hands for the B&W nuts out there - like me. Best wishes . . .

Bob-

I've not had the "pizza wheel" marks on any prints with HPP+Matte, HPP+Glossy, or Epson ColorLife paper. I did look very closely for these, as they are the one concern I'd seen expressed on the various 'net boards that I thought might make me return the printer. (The cost of inks doesn't bother me, as I consider that a trade-off for the ease of use I get with B&W on the HP versus my other printers.)

Hopefully I'll have time soon to try out the other Epson papers I have here. I'll post if I have any problems (other than the well known issues with Epson Archival Matte).

Dave