photography, but he wanted me to come, and I thought it would be a

good challenge. I pretty much use slide film entirely for color,

and I'm thinking that might not be so good. I am open to renting

lens, but this is what I do have: Canon 50 1.4 USM, Tamron 28-80 4.5-

5.6, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6. I have no flashes except those on the

camera body. So, 1) Should I rent faster lenses 2)What film do you

recommend 3) Should I get a better flash? 4)Is renting going to be

increda-expensive?? Thanks for your help. Steve

Take extra batteries, take ISO 400 (or 800) print film, take your 50mm lens, fill the frame fairly tight with one or two persons, leave the zooms at home, and leave your slide film at home. A better flash would be OK but learning how it works at the wedding is not a grand idea. Plus a flash bracket and the cord would be needed as well if you decide on a 'better' flash.

Well I though I would contribue something, but Gerald has covered most it already.

So, Rent a faster lens? sure if you want to swap them over or have two bodies. I think the 50 is a good plan and the 800iso film to go with it for indoor/lowlight. Outdoor, possibly use 160iso dep. on time of day.

Are you assuming the role of main photog?

There isn't any problem having a bunch of people running around taking pictures during the reception, but for the group/formals, ceremony & B&G shots it would be chaos. This will take some planning and coordination.

The ususal 400 speed, portrait negative film mentioned here is the way to go. Built in flash is only good for fill flash. external flash for everything else.

Thanks for the answers....it all seems like good advice. Something I did forget to mention was that it will, weather permitting, be outside in a park. Is there a particular brand of 400 or 800 you would recommend? (I had someone recommend Kodak 400 NC to me) Thanks again. Steve

I agree with all of the above advice, and have just a little to add.

Fuji makes good pro films also, for a wedding i am shooting tomorrow i am shooting Fuji Superia 100 & 400, press 400 & 800, and Kodak BW400CN (black and white).

My main recomendation would be to also pick up some black and white, it gives a real timeless feel to weddings, and it's where i almost always find my favorite pictures of the wedding. You might check with some of the other people who are shooting, and if they are all color you can feel safe to run a roll or 2 of B&W.

Renting equipment isn't very bad at all. Lighting can be expensive, but I get a good deal on lenses and bodies from Glazers Rentals in Seattle, WA. The best lenses range from $5-$25, and a Nikon F100 or F5 will cost $25. It might not make sense to do this if you are shooting a wedding for free, unless you need to build up your portfolio of wedding images. Your 50 f/1.4 and 28-80 should do just fine. If I had one choice, I would rent a fast 28-70 f/2.8 to cover most of the basic focal lengths you will shoot with. However you could in fact shoot the entire wedding with just your 50 f/1.4 (which is pleanty fast enough.)

BTW DON'T use slide film. Use color negative film. More exposure lattitude and neutral skin tones. If you want more color saturation, use Kodak Portra VC 160/400.

All the above but get or rent a flash bracket and get the flash off the camera. I use a stroboframe Pro RL but a Strobo Flip Frame is a lot less money and will do the job. I also uses a Sunpak 383 Flash. Metz Side Mount CL 45 will do the job too, but if you don't move ppl out away from walls etc. you get ugly shadows when shooting horizontal.

I would say use the 50 1.4 for formals and the Tamron 28-80 for spontaneous moments. The 70-300 will render you beautiful stealthy head shots with shallow depth of field.......the smiles and tears are keepers and cherished ones to remember. It might be hard to capture those moments undetected with the 50 1.4. My final product always have a mixture of wide angle to zoom captures. I disagree with leaving your tools at home. If your going to do this, give them one to remember. I would suggest either borrowing or renting somethiong in the 16-28mm range; you never know when you might have an opportunity to exercise your creativity or be in a tight spot! Good Luck! Kindest Regards, Jammey Church