Flash for N90s

robert_davis7

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I'm not well-

versed with the Nikon line. I'm an EOS shooter and my girlfriend has

a N90s (it's a tough relationship :) and I'd like to get her a

speedlight for her birthday. I know the SB-25 or SB-26 are the

recommended flashes for the N90s, but they're a little out of my

price range right now (they're more than $250, right?).

I was thinking about the Sigma 430. I've had good experience with a

Sigma 500 on my EOS 3, but will the brand hold up on the Nikon? Will

the 430 provide 3D matrix flash on the N90s, or do I have to just

get the SB-25?

Thanks in advance. - Robert

The SB 26 is the preferable of the 2 you mention...a terrifc flash for the N90. You do not have to pay anywhere near $250 for a pretty good copy of one. Go to KEH.com and you will see several for prices between $150 and $200.

The SB-26 is a killer flash unit.

The SB-25 and SB-26 have both been out of production for years. They were much larger than the SB-28. The concern with older units is that the capacitors can go bad and then you'll have a dramatic final flash of light before it's off to the dumpster. The SB-28 was manufactured up until maybe 2001 or even 2002. It is much smaller and lighter than the 25/26 and has all the features that the N90s can use. The user interface on the 28 is much nicer than the older units. A used SB-28 can be had for $150 if you shop around. (I bought two in that price range when my SB25 flamed.)

I would like to add to Mr. Schneiders comments. I purchased a SB-26 new in 97, and the flash still works perfectly today. It works just fine with Panasonic 1600 mAh NiMh rechargeables, besides it's good to turn on a flash from time to time to 're-fresh' the capacitor. If you have rechargeables, then the issue of draining the batteries becomes moot.

I own 2 non-DX SB28's. They are smaller, weigh alot less than the SB26. The SB28 buttons are harder to work, with the SB 26 being much easier. My girlfriend with long nails has ALOT of difficulty working the controls on the SB28, however the SB 26 is a snap. Over many years, I swear the SB 28 is slightly more efficient yielding more flashes for the same battery power complement. Where the SB 28 REALLY shines is suprisingly in the dark, like at wedding receptions indoors. You see with the SB26, if I want the LCD indiglo indicator on the flash, you have to click the button on the flash, and likewise click the button on the N90s body IF you desire to read the N90s LCD display as well.

With the N90s/SB28 combo, all that is needed is to push the indiglo button on the N90s body, and the SB 28's LCD indicator will simultaneously illuminate as well - very handy to check your settings.

As mentioned the N90s and SB26 were made for each other, particularly when you desire to perform rear-curtain sync using this combo, thats when the SB26 shows it's hand-in-hand design with the N90s.

Stick to a NIKON flash if you can. GOOD SB 26's can be found at reasonable prices. Hope this helps - Hugh

I'll toss in another recommendation to stay with Nikon flashes, and try to seek out a bargain on an SB-28. Look around and be patient, and you can probably find a bargain since there's a large migration these days to the SB-800 for the new digital bodies.

I bought an SB-28 on the 'net earlier this spring, in mint condition, hardly used but without the instruction book or case, for merely $100. The SB-28 provides a full set of features for the N90s and is more compact than the SB-25 or SB-26.

There are many Nikon SB user guides available free on the 'net, so don't worry if you don't get an instruction book with a used unit; Nikon USA also sells paper copies of IB's.