2005 a watershed year for Leica

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think watches are a bad example, or maybe a good one, depends :-)

With an old Omega you make a fashion statement as I do with my Citizen Wing Commander Blue Angels.

OTOH I have 24hr UTC, time of day and, optional, two time zones on one glance. Alarms, count down and stop watch come in handy sometimes, too. I can calculate fuel consumption and convert measures with the circular slide rule.

The only thing missing is my pilots license :-)

I still have the Dugena Nautica T200 which I bought when I took up diving in 1982 but as a tool the Citizen Promaster is much better and backs up my dive computer. Depth meter, max. depth alarm, rapid ascend alarm are things which may save my live.

The two things that will save Leica is moving the manufacturing stuff to India or China and buying up B&W and color film line, Kodak I am sure would be willing to sell theirs. The digital R thing will be a big BUST, the digital M is to late, by time they get their version out, the Epson Cosina version will be at rev 2/3 with 2 versions a APC version for less than 1K, and either 1.3X or 1.0X version at 5K, in addition the Zeiss version will be out with the redesigned wides.

The party is over unless something really dramatic is done and quickly.

I finally took a look at Scott Eaton's portfolio. While I agree that much dreck is posted on the Leica Forum, Scott's posted photos are dreck, too -- the kind of dreck we've all seen many times before. At least it demonstrates that boring photos can be made with film or with digital.

The most striking thing about Scott's posted photos, though, is that there are few of people -- most of them are of inanimate objects like cars and flowers. This lack of photographic interaction with humans may result from choice, or perhaps from Scott's um, cheery disposition.

"Years ago I had a Casio clock with multitude of functions, beeps and ambient lights, of course all in a cheap plastic box. Now I always carry with me my 60's Omega Deville. I mean, both give me the time on a right way but the Omega has an "i don't Know what ...."

Yes, but a camera is a creative instrument, and a clock is not. As such, a camera must be judged by the results it produces in the hands of its user. The user, not the camera, is the true creator. Still, one should not totally dismiss the pleasure that can be derived from handling and using a finely made instrument. If such pleasure translates into a greater flow of creative energy within the photographer, then the camera itself can be said to be better in that photographer's hands.

RE: Erics link...considering fully 1/3 of the books we sell (we're a large independent photo dealer) are devoted to taking this kind of image...well a lot of people seem to like them. Though the style is not my particular cup of tea I'm kinda with Scott on this one. There is far too much posting of crap here with the explanation 'ooohhh, I use a Leica to take 'important' social documentary photos'. Diversity is what makes the world go 'round.

I agree mostly. Maybe, for whatever reason, using a Leica unblocks someone's creativity. Maybe, like in my case, I just happen to like how they look and work, they may not improve my photography but they don't degrade it either. Thankfully I don't crave the approval of "pros", either for my equipment choices or my photography. It's a hobby, I do it just for me and just for fun. If I'm in a Leica mood today I'll go out shooting with a Leica. Tomorrow I might be in a Rolleiflex mood. Sue me.

Scott...with all due respect...if the idiosyncrasies of Leica users irritates you so badly, why do you even bother to participate in this forum? I have found may of your postings to be quite invaluable but your attitude sucks! Now don't get me wrong...I share many of your opinions...but there is such a thing as finesse!

You guys just don't understand Scott's cravings for attention. I see this all the time. Guys who talk big and tough (a lot of them are in the prison systems around here), but when it comes time to get some surgery done, they cry and whine. Not like some of my 85 year old grandmother patients who will go under the knife without a wimper. When it comes time to act, the big mouth fools are just that.<p>He berates all of you Leica users for unimaginative, derivative, bad photographs. Yet, the only two pictures I see are of himself (narcissistic? - oh, not Scott!). Furthermore, close examination shows that they are basically B&W with only himself being colored. A digital version of hand colored B&W! WOW! Incredible! It's so ORIGINAL! I've never seen anything like it before :-(

<I>"...are devoted to taking this kind of image...well a lot of people seem to like them."</I>

<p>

Pop culture rules -eh Bob? More people prefer Britney Spears to Miles Davis but I'll take Miles any day.

<p>

<I>"...using a Leica unblocks someone's creativity."</I>

<p>

That's a real howl, I was always under the impression that people use Leicas because they like them and that creativity had something to do with the human mind.

<p>

There's a big difference between hand painted prints and using a cheap gimmick like selective desaturation in PS. For someone who hand paints prints I find this <a href="http://www.beatproduction.com/art/"><U>GUY</U></a> pretty creative.

""...using a Leica unblocks someone's creativity."

That's a real howl, I was always under the impression that people use Leicas because they like them and that creativity had something to do with the human mind."

If you can stop howling for the moment, could you please cite the passage where I claimed that creativity was in the Leica and not the human mind? My creativity comes from my mind, but it can be stifled by a camera that's too heavy and makes my back ache, or has controls that require pushing buttons while twirling dials and watching a little LDC display crowded with cryptic symbols. Picking up a Leica removes that aggravation and unblocks my creativity. Is that really such a difficult concept? Ok, you can go back to howling now.

"edmo . , jan 06, 2005; 05:44 p.m.

Ben, it's ok I wasn't howling that long ('bout six or seven minutes). Just found it an odd concept and not a difficult one...that a piece of equipment could do that, all the power too you."

Ah, now I get it. You're just interested in taunting, not understanding. My mistake.