Color Consistency Dillema, Canon-Nikon

willio

Hi everyone,

We're having serious color consistency issue with our cross-system workflow. Me & my

partner uses both Canon & Nikon, and have found that it's almost impossible to get

consistent results from the two cameras, in terms of color reproduction and exposure

consistency.

Cameras are Canon EOS 10D, 20D, D100 & D70, shoots mostly JPEGs and RAW, processed

with the two system's proprietary RAW processing system. We uses AdobeRGB exclusively.

Our questions are:

On-camera:

1) Can anyone share tips/pointers on what kind of on-camera settings/parameter that

leverage the two system's characteristic

Post production:

2) What processing method/workflow to get the closest possible match of color rendition

and overall image consistency

Any pointers would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I use the 10D and have found no exposure or color inconsistency. Here's what I use:

1) Virtually all my work is done with the manual K setting. I have a colormeter and read the scene/flash and set the camera accordingly (and/or to taste). You don't have to have a colormeter either. I too use Adobe colorspace.

When appropriate (as often as possible), I use a hand-held meter as well. Otherwise I use the pseduo-spot on the 10D about 90% of the time or more if going that route.

When using 550EXs I use ROSCO gels to match the color of the ambient light and/or create certain efx.

Most of the time I shoot JPG with SAT & SHARP set to +1. When using RAW I rely on C1 PRO for the conversion. I have never used the software that came with the camera so, I can't comment on that. I would then BATCH process all the pix with the same setting.

I'm not sure anyone can help here. What you're trying to achieve is the same as asking a lab to colour match 2 different film stocks, Each of these cameras sensors deals with each of the colour channels in a different way. Therefore every time the lighting conditions change, the cameras both move off in a diferent direction. So even if you manage to match 2 pictures, you'll still have to start from scratch to match any more.

You probably understand this as well as I do, so let's see if someone has actually tried and succeeded with this.

Thanks everyone,

Phil, we do realize that we are asking almost the impossible here, we do found that we

were able to at least closely match the two with a bunch of adjustments in Photoshop, but

we don't want to do that for every picture out of hundreds.

Giampiero, appreciate the pointers, it gave us a new insight on how we can explore the

camera's potential, however what we were encountering were not inconsistency over one

camera, perhaps I should only point that it's a matter of color inconsistency over two

systems, just like what Phil suggested, wanted to learn if somebody else had this problem

to this, and what was their solution.

I saw your portfolio, you seem to have a good 550ex setup, what kind of power loss do

you experience with the Photek Softlighter setup? Does it have a flash mount or you need

a custom bracket? How well does it work?

Ilkka, I see that is one of an alternate ways we have thought of, but we would have to

shoot RAW in order to employ such solution from my understanding, we'll try that.

>>I should only point that it's a matter of color inconsistency over two systems,<<

Ah! In that case a color meter would help to get an even starting point: I would shoot a controlled set of pictures using a colormeter as the common denominator. Shoot JPG with NO alterations (use the default camera settings on each camera). Use a hand-held meter for exposure as well.

Load in PS and note the differences then, make an action to bring one camera as close as possible to the other. That will be your default action to "equalize the two cameras.

>>what kind of power loss do you experience with the Photek Softlighter setup?<<

I don't know because I haven't metered the flash without it. But, I think their website indicates those figures.

>>Does it have a flash mount or you need a custom bracket?<<

It does NOT come with a flash mount. I have found a LOWEL light bracket that actually works perfectly for mounting the 550EX.

>>How well does it work?<<

The Photek is the best portable light source, IMO. Very easy and fast to setup and good match for the 550EX as well as other strobes I use (METZ & White Lighting)

Giampiero,

Thanks for the kindly respond...we are looking forward about those suggestions you have

as well as others regarding this issue, however we realize somehow that it's a suicide

mission somehow, better off leveraging the two systems and sticks into one single brand

for the future.

As for the lighting modifiers, could you post some more pictures on your flash lighting

setups? We're looking into investing to that direction too, so might as well find some

precious insights from the expert?

Thanks again.

PS. I've checked your portfolio, brillian work!

>>we realize somehow that it's a suicide mission somehow<<

Perhaps but, I don't think so. Picture editors get files from all sorts of cameras and manage to "equalize" the results.

If you shoot a KODAK color chart with both cameras in JPG mode you can actually analyze the color content of each file and adjust from there.

IN essence, each camera should be producing well balanced colors. Though I personally think Canon renders them better IMO.

It's possible that the RAW conversion may be causing at least part of the problem.

Thanks again G,

I believe you are right, so I think i'll make some calls to a local publishing house that

might have that calibration tool and will do what you suggested. At least it's worth the

look considering the switch option :)

Looking forward for that shots G, I'll keep checking your gallery for updates.

Cheers.

Here's the LOWEL (sp?) bracket I use for mounting the 550EX on a standard swivel umbrella adapter.

This bracket is made to hold a LOWEL light on a video camera but, it works great for this purpose. It's about $6.00 at B&H...

Note the generic hot-shoe mount adapter as well.<div>00AnZ2-21404184.jpg.50a5c8d414a7b439313c9a45f3713632.jpg</div>

..and here's my entire portable 550EX setup:

550EX (2 shown)

Manfrotto & other stands (2 shown)

Photek Softlighter (SM & MED, ea. with gold & silver inserts)

Bogen swivel umbrella mounts (2 shown)

Small ball head

two clamps with ball head mount (to position flashes in certain places)

ROSCO gels

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I use for location portraits 95% of the time.

I also have more 550EX flash as well as two very old (but very good) METZ and White Lightning strobes with Soft boxes and shoot-thru umbrellas which I sometime use on location. Otherwise, they stay in my small studio.

Also not shown the large Photek Softlighter. That one does not come with inserts.<div>00AnZm-21404684.jpg.357a403d052747b33b838cbe25873304.jpg</div>