Folders: Novar vs. Tessar

jeremy_keller

Friends! A few brief responses to this dilemma would be much

appreciated.

I have decided, in my dotage, that lugging an old folder up Balkan

hillsides makes more sense than trying to carry anything heavier

(assuming that it makes sense to do such things in the first place.)

I am currently trying to decide between the Super Ikonta III (with

3.5 novar) and the S-I IV (with 3.5 tessar.) I know that of the two,

the latter is the more sought-after. I think the former is 3-element

and the latter 4-element.

Question: In your experience, is the novar noticeably inferior to

the tessar? I shoot B&W, make 11x14 (or bigger) enlargements, and

almost always shoot between f11 and f22. I typically focus at 10 to

15 meters.

Other comments/recommendations most welcome!

With thianks,

JK

As a general rule, the Novar (a triplet) will suffer at wider f/stops relative to the Tessar. With folders, lens standard rigidity, focusing accuracy and film flatness issues often cancel out the advantages of a Tessar.

Best to try both cameras if you can.

That's a pretty daft answer, Geoff.

Jeremy, The Novar is surprisingly good to about f5.6 but after that the edges soften quite alarmingly. This wasn't a problem when these cameras were new because contact prints were the rule for 6x9 cameras but I think you'll notice it on a 11x14. Keeping the lens closed down to f8 will be the rule for bigger prints. I've never used a Tessar on a folder but I have used Agfa's 4 element Solinar and that was remarkably good all the way to f2.8.

Given that choice, I'd go for the Tessar. The 75mm f/3.5 Tessar on the Super Ikonta IV is one of the nicest lenses that you'll find.

I have a "Mess" Ikonta with uncoupled rangefinder using this same lens. It's an amazingly sharp lens.

The Novar is a very nice lens at f/8 or smaller, and my experience has been only with 35mm and not MF.

At the enlargement sizes you're considering, I think you'll find that the Tessar is sharper, especially in the corners.

However, with all of that now said, the previous post was correct in saying that overall condition of the camera is much more important. Specifically, if the lens has mold or fungus or if there has been physical damage to the camera, then that will have a huge effect on sharpness.

The age of the lens will make a difference. I have used a pre-war novar on a Ikonta and is was not bad at all and miles better than a 3 element Radionar of the same age. However a post war coated tessar put the novar to shame.

Another question is the shutter. A reliable shutter helps a lot in getting a good exposure and some old compurs are variable while some seem to be consistent.

"Novar" means German triplet not made by Zeiss. It could be a Rodenstock, Schneider, Meyer, Balda, or whatever. They entertained bids from many manufacturers for their lower end cameras. Triotar is the Zeiss triplet. They are capable of excellent images and are frequently found in slower, simpler shutters that have fewer lubricant based problems than Compurs.

• 3 months later...