Mac or PC best for digital imaging and workflow?

I think both machines are equally good, it is a matter of preference. You can argue all you want about finer points, but people have their own needs, tastes, and ideas as to what they want, and those views are hard to change. That is why cloths/cars/etc come in different styles, colors. They all get the job done. Life would be borrowing if we all had the same thing, and there would be no competition. I guess thats why some of us drive on the right side of the street, and others on the left side...who is right, which is better, who cares, we still get from A to B?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read all of your responses. It's kind of funny listening to such each of you trot

out your personal key points, get into a defensive posture and listen to the

next person spout off before coming up with something else. It kind of reminds

me of two little boys telling each other over and over again, "My dad can't beat

up your dad." LOL.

I have both computers too, a G4 Tower and an XP system a friend helped me

build. PC's are better if you play a lot of video games. There is no arguing that.

I have to wait a year or more for a great game for my Mac that's been out for

PC's a year already. But for anything else, I'll use my Mac. Somebody brought

up a good point that typical, hard core PC users who build their own

machines spend all their time re-clocking them, screwing around with them to

make them "better" in some way and then put everyone to sleep by

describing in excruciating detail everything they did. Boring. I don't have time

to be dicking around trying to get five different types of third party software to

work together. I don't have the time and as like most of you, in this day and

age time is a commodity. I've had my machine for about two years now and it's

nice to know that when I turn it on, add something to it, whatever, it works. I've

never had a major problem. I don't have to spend all day pulling out my hair.

XP too has been pretty solid thus far and I'm happy with it. It blows the pants

off of any previous versions. Like somebody said earlier, just be grateful when

your computer, whatever it is, is doing it's job. Because when it's not, it doesn't

matter what you are using, you still get that same feeling of wanting to throw it

out of the nearest window.

Today Windows XP and Mac OS X are roughly equal with some user interface differences that might lead you to one or the other. I still like Mac OS and have a Mac, but ironically all my photo processing is done on my PC. If somebody gave me a G5 with lots of hard drive space I could switch and not skip a beat. Either will do. (The PC is my photo machine for historical reasons: up until last week it was the newer, faster machine with more hard drive space. With my new Mac speed is probably equal, but the PC still has more hard drives.)

The only large remaining difference between the two is that Mac OS is relatively immune to the viruses and spyware that exist on the PC. Spyware is becoming a huge problem. Every computer I fix lately is loaded with the stuff, and the anti-spyware software out there just isn't keeping up. If you know enough about PC's to keep your PC virus and spyware free, then there is no difference. If you're more of a novice user, this may be a very valid reason to go with a Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

"I read all of your responses. It's kind of funny listening to such each of you trot out your personal key points, get into a defensive posture and listen to the next person spout off before coming up with something else."

It's called rebutting, or defending your point, moron.