Minolta Autocord: Changing To A Bright Split Image Screen?

todd frederick

Check with Bill Maxwell 404-244-0095. You'll most likely get his answering machine, but he'll call you back. Let him; he loves to talk and you'll learn more about screens and focusing than you ever wanted to know.

Sit down when you ask him the cost, but if it's worth it to you his screens are just about perfect.

Rob, if you have a late model Rolleicord with interchangeable screens, he can sell you a ready-made one and you can simply remove the hood and exchange the screens. For older models, you would need to send him the camera, or else obtain a screen from him and have it installed by a camera repairman.

If you are handy at all,You can install Bill Maxwell's screens yourself on either a Rolleicord or Minolta TLR. On the Cord, its only 4 screws, and while you're in there, you can carefully clean the mirror and back of the viewing lens as well. There's a slight complication that the original screens were thicker than the modern bright screen, so the Maxwell screen needs to be shimmed up a slight amount on the install. Bill supplies some "Dyno" label tape which is about the right thickness. I also used a few strips of regular transparent tape to get the infinity focus to be spot on. What a difference it makes having the Maxwell screen in an older camera-literally day and night.

Hi Todd -

First, most Autocords in "Exc" or better conditon sell for as much or more than a Maxwell screen.

Second, I think the first point is moot. I buy a camera for what it will do for me, not as an investment that I will be able to sell later for as much or more than I paid for it. If you can afford the price of a Maxwell screen, and you like the camera you are using, I think it's an excellent choice.

I have Autocords, Rolleiflexes, and Yashica Mats. My favorites are the Autocords, and I had Maxwell screens fitted to two of them. While the original screens weren't bad, the Maxwell screens transformed the cameras! They greatly enhanced focusing and composition on my favorite shooters.

The Maxwell screens greatly increase focusing screen brightness, while retaining at least the same level of contrast as that found in the original equipment focusing screen. Though I haven't had a Beatty Intenscreen, myself, I have read on this forum that, though they are very bright, they lack the contrast needed for easy focusing.

I don't know what Bill Maxwell charges for the focusing screen you want. Paul Ebel installed mine for $135.00 each, but he may only carry the screens without central focusing aids. I may be wrong, however.

My recommendation is that you get yourself a Maxwell screen and enjoy that Autocord all the more!

Murray,

My question about the focusing screens was on behalf of a friend who thought he might like to buy the Autocord from me, but the screen was a bit dim.

This Autocord is truly Mint. He decided he did not want it, but I've decided to keep it.

I am going to check on the Maxwell screen. I don't need a split screen myself; the original screen is a bit dim, but not bad; and a Maxwell screen will make a big difference, I know.

This particular Autocord cost me $170 on eBay with a near mint case, Mint (Minty) camera, and solid metal lens cap...if this had "Rolleiflex" printed on top it would have tripled in price. I think the Autocord is much better! Why do Autocords sell for so much less than Yashica 124G and all Rollei cameras? I really think Autocords are better units.

Thanks for the advice...Todd

Mind if I squeeze into the conversation here fellas? (smile)

Todd, I don't have a Maxwell or aftermarket screen on my Autocord(s) either, although Murray has bugged me endlessly about making the upgrade. Yes, I need to, but in my opinion, it is the old Rollei Automat's that benefit from this upgrade more so than the Autocord. Although...

Again, the "Minolta verses Rolleiflex TLR" debate continues to ramble on, but there are good qualities to be found in both units. Rollei fans like Jerry will continue to believe the Minolta isn't a valuable camera (nor worthy of investment, be it for actual purchase or money spent on upgrading) but owners of this camera will argue otherwise. Personally, I cherish all my main-shooting TLR's, but it just so happens that my CdS-III (which by the way came in _considerably_ higher than a aftermarket screen) blows everything else I have (in a TLR) away, save for one camera. Make that two: one Rollei, and another older, beat-up Autocord that just happens to be a real gem. A photo collector would look at that camera and dismiss it as just another old junker, but the images it renders are truly magical. Someday, when I have time (and more dollars than sense) I'll treat it to a full restoration. Until then, its hand on the plow.

I'm glad your keeping the Autocord. Yes, it is worth the upgrade, and yes, a valued shooter is worth more than what it might "bring" in the future, money-wise...that is, if your really interested in making photographs and not just impressing other photo snobs with your high dollar toys.

FWIW, I own four Autocords and only the focusing screen on the oldest of them (a '55 vintage LMX) is dim enough that it bothers me somewhat. The screens on the other cameras, especially the CDS-III, are bright enough that I've never noticed a problem or considered replacing them.

I'm curious as to whether A) I got lucky; B) I'm not that picky or C) I'd be much happier still if I replaced them with something else. Any suggestion as to which of these three it might be?

Jeffrey -

Nolan shoots old Rollei Automats, with what I consider to be abysmally dark, virtually unusuable focusing screens, and he's pretty happy with the standard, much brighter original equipment screens in his Autocords.

I, on the other hand, have always had some difficulty discerning that exact point of correct focus, so the Maxwell screens have helped me. I even noticed advantages to using them in bright sunlight, as I could see leaves on a bush moving lightly in the breeze, which I wouldn't have been able to discern in the original equipment screen. Additionally, in low light, the image in the finder doesn't "gray out" as it does in most original equipment focusing screens.

If you are pretty comfortable with the existing focusing screen, it might not be worth the investment to upgrade to a Maxwell screen. For me, the difference/improvement was astounding and a big help.