OT Help me pick out a camera for Mom

Yes, the Contax T2 is nice, but for the money, I'd stick with an Olypus Stylus Epic or its splashproof model. I have both, and the T2 produces marginally better photos, but she may not notice them. My wife also has had two Pentax P&S's (since failed due to abuse) which gave excellent results; and you can get a 28mm lens in that focal length for a reasonable sum. Highly recommended.

Forget any rangefinder, as they're too fussy for 99% of shooters. She should quickly decide if she wants to lug around an SLR, even one of the ultra-light, new models.

Skip

I have re-read the 'brief' for mom-cam.

It is next week.

Canyons + mountains so HUGE landscape vistas.

Landscape photos must be beautiful. NOT just 'nice'.

Must be small and simple and around $400 (maybe a little more it IS yer mum!)

Mum is an ex-SLR user from way back (when they were all manual SLRs am I right?) So I will venture that Mum has pretty high standards compared to the average Joe Public wanting any cheap consumer P&S camera for his/her happy/snappy/kidsy/petsy/party snaps.

"Photographically quite experienced lady Traveller (ex manual SLR user) and Canyon/mountain visitor wants high quality (but simple) small non-zoom camera to capture beautiful landscapes."

So in light of all that I am going to reverse my recommendation to..

(1) Ricoh GR-1V or GR1-S with its effective little petal lens shade and die cast magnesium body and suberb 28mm lens (big landscapes those canyons) and the ability to go fully auto or use some degree of manual control if confident doing so. Filters can be used and a UV filter (for instance) can be kept on body when switched off.

Even though it has a lot of 'creative control' capabilities (manual modes if you'd prefer) you can still use it 'straight from the box' in full auto mode and get stunning pics without having to be an expert.

2) Contax T2. Just as great quality but the Ricoh has 28mm f2.8 and smaller size and weight and less AF lag AND a bayonet fit lens-hood that is essential with those big (hopefully sunny) canyons and stuff. Oh ,and the GR1-V or GR1-S will be a little less expensive and $400 would get you a mint/boxed GR1-V with filters and change, easily.

What you're all not understanding is, this is *MOM'S* camera, not yours. Except Marc we don't know anything about her except that she used to use an SLR back--how long we don't know either.

Maybe the squinty little viewfinder in a P&S won't let her compose well. Maybe AF will focus on a weed 10ft away instead of infinity and Mom won't notice it in a P&S viewfinder like she would in an SLR. Maybe with a 6 oz camera the size of a pack of smokes Mom won't be able to get a relaxed but steady hold to minimize camera shake. Maybe Mom won't be able to read the tiny little displays well, or push the tiny little buttons that set them. Maybe Mom would rather have a little flexibility in the way of a zoom lens rather than be stuck with a single focal length--especially a wide-angle (and to a landscape shooter 35mm is a wide angle)which requires more skill (to avoid tiny little mountains and gobs of uninteresting foreground) than anyone who doesn't shoot landscapes routinely can learn in a few days.

It's fun to toss out suggestions on gear but if Marc is smart he will help his Mom to choose a camera, not hand her one and send her off.

Jay's suggestion that Marc asks Mom is a good one. So why continue

banging on about an SLR, and its superior viewfinder, when she specifically

asks for something "simple and small"? Several suggestions here fit that brief,

with lots of links to landscape pix as evidence. <p>

It's intriguing how often on this forum the answer to "I want a camera to do X"

turns out to be "buy the camera I've got/like, it's best for Y".

I'll assume she will be using color negative film.

(1) forget APS

(2) definately get a camera with zoom

(3) even though she has previously used an SLR, I infer that an autofocus, autoexposure camera would be preferred.

(4) I would recommend a Minolta Freedom 140EX (not currently manufactured) but available for ~$150.

(5) If time is of the essence, take her to a reasonably weel equipped photo store and have her try out some of their (clearance) P&Ss. Check out the Fujis.

(6) If she were going overseas, I would say a digital Canon A80 (uses AA batteries and CF storage).

Best wishes for a wonderful trip for your mom!

Marc, I hope you are going to print out this thread to amuse your Mom and let her read what everyone thinks she ?ought? to have. Also, I suggest that you take your Mom to the camera shop ? and let her choose?.I know that?s what I would like best. As you well know, men and women have different views about cameras! On holiday, there are times when I find my M7 gets very heavy so lightness seems important. Tell us what you eventually give her.

<<So why continue banging on about an SLR, and its superior viewfinder, when she specifically asks for something "simple and small"?>>

I'll try to explain it without even making you look up from your ale to infer meanings from context as I had to do with your colloquialism "banging" which in American is slang for intercourse. Most likely a Canon Rebel Ti, Nikon N55, or the equivalent entry-level Pentax or Minolta would qualify as both simple and small to someone whose frame of reference is, by inference from what Marc wrote, an older SLR.

Quite a few more contributors to this thread since I looked earlier.

Odd, how many Leica users, prepared to spend serious money on lenses for their M, don't recommend a quality Zeiss or Leica lens when it comes to a flm point and shoot. Sorry, but the quality difference will remain, plain to be seen, on every picture you get back.

Jay has a point though, if your mum is used to an old style SLR, she may get a shock when she feels how light a modern entry level SLR is. So let her try one in a shop by all means. I bet she still wants to buy a compact though.

Trevor is on the right lines but would anyone want to own a single camera whose prime lens is a 28mm? This lady will not have a whole bag full of other cameras and lenses to choose from. 38mm makes more sense as a standard all round lens. The lady may dream of shooting beautiful landscapes but surely she will also want to picture those nice people she meets on her travels too, or her son or whatever.

People - I name this camera the T2 ...or maybe a Minilux

Jay, I inferred from the phrase "years ago, she used an SLR... but now wants

something simple and small" that even a modern, light SLR won't count as

that. Your idea of small might be different from Marc's mom, given your own

comic description of what you'd look like in a Mini Cooper convertible. <p>

My gf used an SLR at college, takes great photos with an OM or FE2, but

prefers an Olympus Stylus (or Mju, in English) on vacation, even after I've tried

to persuade her to use all sorts of other stuff. That's <i> her </i> idea of a

small camera.<p>

Anyway, good for you for suggesting Marc takes mom out for a meal. He can

ask her about SLRs then and get the only relevant opinion. I've finished my

ale now and I'm going outside for a fag.

Well said, Paul.<p><p>

Jay, those of us who reside here in "the colonies" must always remain alert to different word usage.<p><p>

Marc may be hesitant to take us up on the suggestion that he have lunch with his Mom when they shop for cameras. That's because while forumers have in mind some charming tablecloth restaurant with fine food,classical music, and a little shaded terrace, Marc will more likely wind up <a href= http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008r3j>at this place</a>.

Yeah, not the kind of place I had envisioned, especially if Mom's watching her cholesterol.

Another thing to think about Marc, is that $400 spent on a 35mm P&S is $400 down the tubes. A 35mm SLR, even an entry-level one, still has some resale potential, in case Mom's interest in photography becomes rekindled and she starts hinting around at getting a Leica for Christmas from her favorite son.

I have printed out this thread and shown it to Mom. I haven't seen her laugh so hard in a long time. I asked her what she wanted me to do. She said she wanted me to find out if Jay is married. If not, she wants a picture. (Mom's 63 and single.)

I still haven't bought her camera, but she's leaving on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted.

Wow. Second proposition I've had on this forum today. This one's from a gal, things are looking up. Tell your Mom I'm married but that if she's a good cook and has a decent-sized estate I am up for adoption. And, if she disowns you, I'll throw in lunch at a five-star restaurant, not some greasy-spoon diner.

I have the Contax T (same lens as T2), the T3, and the Yashica T4 Zoom. I recommend the latter for reasons of price (well under $200), the 28mm wide end, super-sharp Zeiss glass, and compact size of a P&S. It has some fancy features, but is very easy to use. Yes, the lens is slow and the barrel distortion at 28 is frightening, but these are small concerns for landscape, where sharpness is paramount.

<p>

<a href=http://kyoceraimaging.com>kyocera.com</a> for specs.