Class Reunion

kelvin_nash

Has anyone here ever done class reunions? I have been asked to do

two class reunions. I haven't gone to my own, and I don't really

know what it entails. Any general or specific info about

photographing this kind of event would be great. I'll be getting

specifics on what the customers will want in the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Kelvin

At my ten year reunion a class mate (the one who took many of the yearbook photos) was the only photographer. I suspect there will be few, if any, photos of her at the next reunion. It's great that your client hired an outside shooter! Yes, you can expect lots of table shots, and candid stuff - like a reception in many ways. I noticed a lot of groups reunited that wanted photos done - even a couple of used-to-be boyfriend and girlfriend shots. I'd say just have fun with it.

This may or may not apply to you:

I also am photographing a two day class reunion in September for a good freind who is the coordinator. Her husband will assist.

The "formal" event will be Saturday night and the picnic Sunday.

We are going to take "studio" formals at the hotel Saturday with digital, and will also take casuals on Sunday at the picnic with digital.

On Saturday night we will do the formals with my backdrop, and also do many table shots...the two of us will work on this. We will review images on a laptop and we will download as we go on an external hard drive.

I am also new to this, and just bought my first laptop!

Sunday will be more casual, but we will use digital as well.

No film for this event at all.

We are looking at creating a digital CD album with print options.

Kevin, I have shot my class reunions and been the organizer of the event for a class of 500 for the last 25 yrs. Our next reunion will be the 40th! As a pro photographer, I am used to "working" an event and can give a few tips. At our last reunion however, I did hire a pro friend to do our large "group" shot. He used medium format, color, with several slave units for even lighting. I always shoot B&W, MF with flash, and try to arrange groups (not eating), do candids during dancing, and stay at the front for shots of the emcee and speakers. Go to the reunion site weeks before to check out the layout; keep in cordial touch with the coordinator; show up on time and be prepared for staying late if necessary; take plenty of film; have flash equip. charged and back-up battery power; don't dress "down" and watch what you drink; be prompt and professional with your photos; you may enjoy yourself and want to go to your own reunion! Good luck, Mary.

Try to use any furniture available to make the group shot more casual and interesting with small class sizes of 40-50, if you happen to get this situation. A sofa and a pair of chairs on the ends can make for a nice environment for these. Seat some on the arms of the furniture, seat and kneel some people on the floor in addition to the standing people behind the sofa and chairs. Make them look as casual as possible. They'll love it!

You know, the table shots sound awful lot like a wedding reception job. And I'm not good at those table shots either. I work with a friend who gets great table/dancing shots. But he works at it, he cajoles, he talks, and he snaps.

I tried some of these candid shots at my last reunion. I am sooo good at getting the backs of heads, even with people I know! But you asked for help, not stories!

At our class reunion, on the first day/night peole really visit and talk, and move around casually. I would say that the couch and end chair suggestion would make the best casual shots, and formal shots too,if you needed them at the same time. I will probably go to at least part of my next reunion because one of my classmates is setting up an outdoor tent on the museum grounds, and she's done beautiful jobs of that in the past for many things.

I have photographed wedding receptions in several of her tent set-up....I always like to get a shot though the plastic windows, and one far away of the whole lit tent.

So, for my suggestion, I would get a really good idea of what kind of reunion this will be...rowdy, civil, polite, drunk...there are many interpretations. And I would shoot for the money. That's why, when I go to this reunion, and if I do, I will set up for some really nice "friends" shots-ones hopefully no one will throw in the back of scrapbook somewhere, but will place in treasured spot for "seen" photos.......of family and friends. I will color control in a way, with the white tent. My friend who takes great table shots, still takes those old flash shots with the black background, even though he gets marvelous color and skin tones, there's still that look of the of a black background because of the flash shots...and oh, let's don't for get those silly plastered smiles that some secret person must be selling at the door especially for photographs.

I don't want a record of my friends-if I had any- with that black background that could have been anywhere any day-I would want a nice balanced photograph which featured a portrait of the two or more of us, with a gentle indication as to where we were and what we were doing.

But again, go over that with the planner, and then, my suggestion, shoot for the money.

I've shot class reunions......you will want to capture the following:

*Greetings

*Many Candids, both undetected and small group hugs etc...

*Back drops are good...couples will want formal photos at this event.

*Most important - have your envelopes, buisness cards and order forms pre-made. Shoot a group photo and tell everyone that, if they want one, it must be purchased and submitted that day. Standardize in a paticular size, such as 8X10. Have them fill out the order form with all important info such as qty, ship to address etc. then have them put the completed order form with payment into the envelope and give back to you.

*I put their paticular "event" web address on my buisness card, create a web gallery with PS, so that the folks can go back home and view the candids/formals and purchase additional photos if desired.

These are my procedures and i've had great sucess in sales which also has lead to referals.

Kindest Regards,

Jammey Church