D70 - impressive Sync/shutter speeds

peter_smirnoff

I do not think they have introduced a new electro-mechanical shutter mechanism as common to other electronic AF cameras. Shutter and sync-speed in DSLRs can be further "capablized" by tweaking the CCD capture times and I guess that's what they have done --

The F5 body can 'sync' at 1/300th, or generally at 1/250th. It, too, has a 1/8000th top shutter speed.

As new digital bodies are released, the older models seem less than modern, but that is the way marketing folks want you to think. The D70 also requires a (new generation) type of Nikon speedlight to be fully functional as engineered.

But what about the 1/60th internal flash sync? That's terrible! If I had to guess why they did it I'd say maybe because the flash is really weak and they need an extended pulse, but 17ms?!?! Wasn't there another camera recently that had the same limitation (I think maybe the N55)?

• 1 month later...
Yes the D70 has an impressive synch speed, but the fact it's not compatible with other flas uniths like my sb50-dx is appalling on Nikons part. I have discovered that the Sb50DX speedlight does not work with the D70 body, in Auto mode. It only fires in manual mode, which is nearly useless. Might as well buy a $50 no mane flash. shame Nikon.

The D70 still use a mechanical shutter, right? If so, I think that what's impressive. As far as I know, the mechanical shutter still has to be fully open during flash. If the camera can record at 1/500 without flash, it should be able to record with flash, as long as the mechanical is fully open. I don't see what the electronic shutter has to do with it.

What am I missing here? Does it have a mechanical shutter?