Coolpix 5700 or Dimage A2 >>>>

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare 8700 and A2? They both take CF cards. I personally did not like the zooming on the 8700 and it didn't feel as good in my hands as the A2. The A2 also has better controls in my view. The manual zoom on the lens with the A2 and the fact that it has a 49mm filter thread are other pluses. Antishake is another one. Something I wish the A2 had that the 5700/8700 has is the flip out, swivel/turn display. With the BP400 battery grip, the A2 takes two rechargeable batteries and that will last you (almost) forever, and you can run it off regular AAs as well. I did the comparison some months ago and picked the A2 and so far I am very happy with it.

Comparing 5700 and A1: I think the same things apply as I said above. 5700 has the zoom where you flip the switch on the back - A1 you turn the lens. 5700 has the fold out swivel/tilt LCD that the A1 doesn't. A1 has AS, the 5700 doesn't. You can fit filters directly on the A1 lens, that's not the case with the 5700. There are battery grips for both - the A1's take two batteries or six AAs. Picture quality difference? I'm not sure there really is any significant difference. I've seen pictures from both, and also used both, and I would say that they are even when it comes to picture quality. For me the handling, the AS, and the manual zoom would decide in favor of the A1.

You should be able to get a decent price on a used A1. I got mine on photo.net for $450. I added a 1.6x teleconverter to give me 300mm when I need it (only a slight reduction in image quality with the tele). Anti-shake makes a huge difference, especially at the far end of the zoom range (200mm). The only problem I have with my A1 (and I think this applies to the A2 as well) is the "all over the shop" control dials. But as I use it more, I am getting used to the functions/dials more quickly. I also wish for an lcd that swivels out (it only tilts up 90 degrees). Lent the camera to my friend on her trip to the zoo, and she loved it. Pictures came out really nice. The other plus is compatibility with Minolta's wireless flashes. Built-in flash is marginal, but useful in a pinch. Also the video clip mode came out better than I thought it would. Hooked it up to the TV (with the supplied AV cables), and it didnt look any worse than my old camcorder footage (though grainier).