Beginner - Wista DXIII, Tachihara or Shen-Hao?

Hello,

I would like to buy my first 4x5 camera. I'll be using it primarily

for landscape work and occassionally portraits. I'll probably be

getting a Nikkor 90mm for my first lens and may eventually go wider

to a 72mm. I'll decide on a portrait lens in the future.

I've been reading on this forum for a few months now and my head is

still in a bit of a haze. If you were to decide between these three

cameras, which would you get? I was researching a couple months ago,

at that time I was leaning towards the Wista (I don't remember my

exact reasons - I remembered it has less bellows draw - so I don't

know why I settled on it).

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Guhan

Of the 3 you mention, the Wista. It is a more expensive camera and is better made. Short bellows draw can be compensated for by using telephoto lenses, extender lensboards or back.

However, if money isn't that big a deal, I'd get an Ebony RW45. It will use lenses as short and much longer than the Wista and is a superb camera. Plan on spending about $250 - $350 more.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

Steve

Mike Johnson, whose monthly articles appear on this and other photo sites,

rhapsodized wistfully about the Wista in his photo newsletter a year or so ago.

Apparently prices went up in the US right after a new distributor took over and B&H

started selling the brand.

I hope you weren't expecting unanimity of opinions here : - ) because I respectfully disagree with the previous poster who suggested the Wista. I think the main contenders are the Tachihara and the Shen Hao. I'm assuming the Wista in question is one of the wood models rather than the metal so that you're comparing apples to apples.

I've never owned a Wista but I've played around with one (not sure of the model number though). It didn't feel to me as though it was constructed better than the Tachihara I used to own but it cost about $500 more. Plus the Wista bellows is an inch shorter than the Tachihara (not sure about the Shen Hao, I've never used one). That may not sound like much but that extra inch will allow you to use a normal (i.e. non-telephoto) 300mm lens and focus as close as about 10 feet without any special gyrations of the front standard.

As between the Shen Hao and the Tachihara I think it comes down to which is more important to you, the two pound weight saving of the Tachihara (plus maybe an additional inch of bellows, I think the Shen Hao is 12 inches but that perhaps can be extended by using base tilt) or the additional movements plus availability of bag bellows with the Shen Hao. For landscape work and portraits the additional movements of the Shen Hao compared to the Tachihara aren't particularly important IMHO and the Tachihara can be used with a lens as short as 65mm without needing a bag bellows. OTOH, if you don't plan to walk very far the weight saving of the Tachihara isn't important and movements plus a bag bellows can be nice to have even if neither is used much. There's a review of the Tachihara on my web site www.ellisgalleries.com, click on "equipment reviews" and scroll down to the Tachihara review if you're interested.

I think either of these cameras would do fine, no need to lose any sleep over which one, just buy one of them and start photographing.

I'll probably be getting a Nikkor 90mm for my first lens and may eventually go wider to a 72mm.

I would not recommend getting a 90mm to start with. Most are not very bright and are hard to focus. Start with a 150 mm or maybe a 210 mm. Learn with those lens and then go to the wide angle. If you want to do landscapes, look to John Sexton's first book and discover that he used the 210 mm the most because that was what he had to work with.

lee\c

I've never seen, much less used, a Shen Hao or Wista but I own and use a Tachihara. Keeping my ignorance of the previous two in mind, the Tachihara is a pretty darned good camera. The Wista is an excellent camera but, it can be a bit pricey compared to the results with the Tachihara or Shen Hao. Call the folks at Midwest Photo and talk to them...they're really helpful.

I agree with the previous poster on lens choice. I recommend something in the 210mm range to start with for the reason given. However, after getting used to the camera (and light of the ground glass) I use between a 90mm lens up to a 300mm lens with absolutely no problems (in reference to movements) at all.

In a nutshell, I recommend on getting the Tachihara. I say this only because I own one and am a penny pincher.

I live quite near Badger Graphic and was able to go compare the Tachihara and the Shen Hao in person. (I don't know about Wistas.) Although the S. H. is heavier, it is more versatile with its interchangeable bellows system and greater rear movement capability. Build quality seemed more or less equal. The Tachihara design is almost gaudy with the red wood and brass plated hardware, and, personally, I found that a bit of a turn-off because the the greater attention it might attract from passers by. The S. H. looks more workmanlike (although sometimes it too attracts gawkers who want to know about the "old" camera).

With the Shen Hao you can gain some bellows draw by fooling around with movements, although on the front it is hard to lock the lensboard down securely after having done so, especially if the lens is heavy. I have opted for a tele design 300 mm in the end, and I can easily focus from near to infinity without having to fool with movements. (With tele designs movements for perspective control or focus become a little more complicated, but they can be done.) I haven't shot portraits yet with my 300mm, but consider that it is equivalent to a portrait focal length on a 35mm.

I agree that starting with a 90, if you've never done LF, probably isn't the best idea, unless you can afford one with a nice wide aperture. If slightly wide angle appeals maybe something in the 120-135mm range would be good, although for learning focusing and movements a 150 or even 210 (which could be used for some portraits) would work better. I learned with a 150.

My first 4x5 was a wista. As others have already mentioned it is very similar to the tachihara. I eventually sold it because it wasn't useable with a 300mm lens. A 90mm lens will work fine; however, keep in mind that the f/8 90mm lenses are difficult to focus. A 75mm lens is tough to use on the wista. If you are aiming for wide lenses the shen hao might be a better choice. I seem to recall that the rear standard could move forward. This saves you from all the hassle of dropping the bed, front rise, front tilt, etc...

The shen hao also has a longer bellows than the wista and tachihara. 360mm means that you would be able to use a 300mm lens like the nikon M. This would be my fault with all three of these cameras though. None can use a 450mm lens.

Since you are a wide angle person you might want to look at a camera that allows the use of a bag bellows. Again, the shen hao wins in this area. However, you might also consider the wista vx, sp, or sw. THe vx and sp are metal field. The sw is wood; hoever, thay all allow the use of bag bellows. Furthermore, wista has a real clever wide angle device that makes using 75mm and shorter lenses much easier. I believe linhof also has a device like this too. Furthermore, the vs, sp, and sw all have bellows that allow the use of a 300mm lens.

The wista DX series doesn't allow the use of a recessed lensboard. I'm not sure about the tachihara. The shen hao will work with a recessed lens board. THis again is in your favor for short lenses.

At 625 bucks the shen hao is a steal. Definately a better deal than the tachihara and the wista. The previously mentioned rw45 is also a great camera. The fit and finish is far above the wista, tahihara, and shen hao. However, the starting price is 1545 with the universal bellows. You'll want these bellows if you plan to use anything shorter than 90mm.

Hello Guhan,

You might have gotten a straighter answer asking about Fords and Chevy pickup trucks!!! I own, use and consider my Tachihara 4X5 my primary camera. . . yes I have many others, but neither of the other two you mentioned.

I am writing to suggest that if you live in, or near, a major city you might be able to rent all three of the cameras you are interested in. When I did Photo sales we rented just about everything in the camera shop.

Each and every woodfield I have seen has slightly different features but all had three basics, a film plane, a bellows and a lens mount. I do not foresee needing an extra bellows, my view cameras are for that.

The Tachihara is a piece of art in itself. The air dried cherry wood is perfect for the elements of Florida weather. The price is very reasonable and what my foremost consideration was when purchasing mine was and still is the weight issue. Tachihara was the lightest of them all at the time. In my humble opinion; A field camera should be light and easy to setup, fold and walk off.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it!<GRIN>

Good luck and try before you buy if possible!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

What do all of you think of the Toyo 45CF, or perhaps the 45AII/45AX ?

Would the toyo be a good alternative to the Wista or Takihara? I'm looking for a metal-framed tech. camera... and could consider polycarb, but I think wood is out of the question for the humid climate I live in.