OT: Camera seized, photos (accidentally ?!) deleted, apology issued

The local mall just processes your film; and lets you have the prints and negatives if all is above board; for no cost; if your film is nabbed. The images of store interiors; "lets steal the stores merchanising layout" are not given back; they directly violate the terms of entering the mall. With liability Insurance and rents skyrockering; malls are protective of their investments; and view dimly the folks who steal from them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I posted this short "Washington Post" article yesterday morning, 50 comments have followed.

Several are tongue-in-cheek (or "kidding on the square"); a few are political (and have elicited political responses); some raise or respond to technical or functional questions about film/digital capture; and a number of others raise or respond to legal issues regarding the rights of photographers in public, private, or commercial places and the limitations that can be imposed on those rights.

And a few -- very few -- simply express utter disgust, directed at the political comments, it seems, though they don't always say so. But then they ask for what appears to me to be a strange and uncalled-for "remedy" -- they want this discussion deleted in its entirety, the sooner the better.

I really don't have genuine "pride of authorship" here. After all, this was just a newspaper article. But on a slow news day -- or a slow forum day or maybe just a slow gear day -- it appears to have sparked interest in this group, several of whom I note are professional photographers with personal experiences to draw upon.

We have entered a new era on the streets of the US and most other nations as well. We are more security-conscious, more alert to danger, and in any case, we subject others and are ourselves subjected to greater scrutiny.

The ways in which a democracy responds, reacts, sometimes overreacts, and then self-corrects at times like these is to me fascinating. And when these issues and actions directly concern photography -- a passion for many of us and a career for others -- I would hope we could continue to raise and discuss them here.

My prior comment reflects my disgust with the cop-hating and whacko political comments which have NOTHING to do with the original subject. The folks who continually add these kind of remarks poison the forum for others. I am offended. Their posts should be removed as off topic.

The original subject is worthwhile, although hardly an earth shaking event. It seems that the kids may get their pictures back and I suspect the Captain probably threw quite a fit with the officers. And I bet the Captain got a call from the Chief who got a call from the Mayor who really does not want to see this in the newspaper and surely does not want to be named in the lawsuit if one is filed.

We have a free press that can report this and courts to remedy the situation if need be.

However, the subject has nothing to do with the current administration, the onset of some imagined neo-Nazi takeover of the US or the war in Iraq. Thats the CRAP that needs deleting and the ones who spew it need to find some other place to spread their manure -- like a forum for political comment.

Henry - there ain't no such thing as apolitical. Predictably, the calls for the forum to be apolitical always come from the "right" - as if there were a viable alternative these days. Coincidence? I think not.

What you really mean is: don't rock the boat.

From the thread cited earlier by Garvey P., written by Brian Mottershead "The Gitzo example I gave above was an example of French-bashing. But Bush-bashing, or anyone-else-bashing, would have been equally unacceptable and off-topic, whatever the moderators' views may be about France, Bush, or anything else."

<p>

I agree completly with this statement. And if I want to read politics I know where to go to do so. This is a Leica Photography forum where I go to read about Leica photography.

<p>

Rob, I don't want to see anyone's political opinion written here. Not mine, not yours and not anyone elses. Here's the kind of post that tics me off -- "now that the French and Germans have been exposed as having been on Saddam's payroll and we know the real reason they didn't want to meddle with Iraq......." posted in a thread about French tripods or German film or something. Its a drive-by shooting and it does not belong here anymore than the crap some have posted in this thread.

<p>

Its damned impolite to others and its time to stop.

<i>Jeff, had you been shooting, does the owner of the private property have a right your film, or in your case, digital file? Can they legally insist you turn over the film or erase the file?

</i><p>

Much worse, legally they can hold you until the police arrive. The police can charge you. The time alone isn't worth it to take a few photos inside a mall.

OK, Henry - I probably misread your intention. My comment was more about previous calls to keep politics off the forum - which have generally come from the right of the spectrum. As for myself, I have no big opinion about the event that sparked off this thread.

>>> Much worse, legally they can hold you until the police arrive. <<<

I'm going to have to call b.s. on that. They can hold you under what's called the "merchant's privilege" if you're caught shoplifting, but not for taking photos, as far as I am aware.

Furthermore, if they screw up and hold you without proper legal justification you can sue them for false arrest. If you'd told them to hose off and they'd detained you, you might have wound up owning the store, particularly in light of the fact that you hadn't taken any photos.