I hope you guys could help me out with the purchase of another

camera - a smaller and hopefully lighter one than the one i have

now. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, i'm currently the

owner of a canon f-1 new system, which i really like, eventhough

it's quite a cumbersome burdon to carry around. Especially since i'm

doing army service atm. As having a 8kg camera around your neck

ain't an option, I'd hope that someone here had any ideas as to what

rangefinder-type, preferably second hand, camera one could buy, one

which can easily be chucked down a pocket if need be?

I'm saying rangefinder-type as i'd rather have a viewfinder than a

rangefinder, but for ~100-200 bucks there's not much choice, i

guess?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! And thanks for the reply!

/Fredrik

There are a lot of choices for small cameras in this budget. I don't know specifically about viewfinder cameras (others can talk to them), but there are tons of compact rangefinders that can be had. Small, how about the Olymupus RC? It is tiny and a very good camera.

http://www.cameraquest.com/olyrc.htm

If you decide that you want to pursue a small rangefinder, there was a post here at Photo.net within the last couple days that discussed this topic pretty well.

Good luck.

Fred, a viewfinder camera that could work for you might be a Rollei 35/35T/35S. Great little cameras, excellent lenses and the battery is only needed for the meter.

You need to guess on the focus.

The cameras take excellent photos, but you'll need to be able to adapt to its ergonomics. Not a huge shift in thinking, but some people aren't able to do this.

The Olympus Stylus Epic is considered by many to be the best of the cheap pocket P&S cameras. Fixed lens, AF, AE. I think the Yashica T3/T4 is rated highly as well, but costs a lot more. Among the old 70's rangefinders, the Konica Auto S2 and Olympus 35 SP seem like the top choices.

I got a Casio QV-R40 for $200, and it is a sweet little pocket digicam. I recommend it highly if you don't mind digital.

I picked up a Minox 35 - it is very cheaply constructed, and scale focusing is not for me. I'd pass on it (despite the good lens and electronic shutter).

If you want to have interchangeable lenses, russian rangefinders are about the only thing in that price range in decent shape.

Olympus XA or XA2. XA2 has zone focus, whereas XA has rangefinder. The XA2 zone

focus is very easy to use. These cameras are ultra light, ultra pocketable, and very

simple -- less to go wrong. They both have good lenses, and take great photos.

You can afford 3 or 4 XA2s for the money you have!

The XA-2 is a cute little camera and is one of the best buys as regards picture quality. The flash unit is a dedicated detachable one which I find a bit too complicated relative to new models like the Stylus with integrated flash. If you don't do many flash pictures though, the XA-2 is a little beauty.

Hey and thanks for the replys!

I just bought an olympus XA4 for 90 bucks (with flash unit). The condition is great, works and no visible flaws except that the battery chamber lock looks a bit worn.

My first impressions are that i'll most likely forget to set the focus more than once, and that one'll get kinda irritated at not knowing the shutter speed? Who else owns this kind of camera? any comments? :)

again, thanks!