Hasselblad A24 film backs - what's the difference?

andreas_carl

What's the difference between A24 CHROME WITH BLACK DOT RELEASE 30104

and A24 CHROME 6X6 (30224) WITH DK SLIDE HOLDER? From the pictures I

have seen on keh.com, they look identical (both have the dark slide

holder???).

Also, is it possible to remove this dark slide holder? I think it

looks just plain ugly piece of plastic attached to a beautiful

camera...

Andreas: Based on information in Rick Nordin's "Hasselblad System Compendium" you are comparing different generations of A24 backs. The first back 30104 with the black dot on the release button appears to have been made from the late 1960s to the mid-1980s(?). In the mid-1980s the design of the film insert was changed, these magazines would have the number "24" instead of the black dot on the release button and "Made in Sweden by Victor Hasselblad" on the side plate. Neither of these versions has the built-in dark slide holder. In 1997, the dark slide holder was added. I believe this version will have a black dot in the release button but "A24--6x6" on the top of the magazine, and will not have "Made in Sweden by Victor Hasselblad" on a side plate.

Looking at my own A12 back--The dark slide holder appears to be attached with four small Phillips screws accessible from within the magazine body. If you remove the film insert and the dark slide and look through the film aperture towards the back of the magazine body, the screw heads are clearly visible and look reasonably accessible. I assume they can be easily removed by a competent person. However, I would think this would leave four small holes in the back of the magazine body which would have to be filled. I have NOT tried this at home.

I assume that you are looking at KEH's web site. They often use generic pictures for

items that are roughly identical. If the description doesn't have "DK SLIDE HOLDER", it

probably doesn't have one, even though it is in the picture. Contact KEH, or whomever

the vendor is, to make sure.

Taras

Then I think you would be looking for a model 30104 (chrome trim) or 30171 (black trim) A-24 magazine manufactured approximately between 1985 and 1997, which will have the number 24 on the release button. As you probably know, the date of manufacture can be ascertained from the letter code in the serial number on the magazine, with the numbers 1 through 9, then zero corresponding to the letters in "VHPICTURES". For example, a serial number including "EP" indicates the magazine was manufactured in 1993. I think if you query a seller on these features of a magazine, you will end up with the model immediately preceding the one with the included dark slide holder. I hope if any of this is mistaken, that other readers will speak up.

Andreas, remove the dark slide holder, next time you shoot, you don't know where to

put the slide, so you put it somewhere, anywhere, and when you want to remove the

back to reload, you can't find the d... slide, and you can't remove the back and reload.

All this time, the model is waiting with her meter turning. This is when you regret

having removed the dark slide holder. ;-)

You want to trade your back for my back? It has no dark slide holder. It's beautiful.

Paul: I guess Andreas plans to use 220-film in the A24 back.;-)

I do it in my E24-6x6, but I can't get those films for å good price in Norway, I have to order from Sweden, UK, USA or Germany. :-(

I use most Provia 100F and Astia 100(F in the future). I'll also try some Velvia 100F, but first in 120. :-)

• 4 years later...

I searched Photo.net for my question, but this is the closest that I can find. I know it's an old thread.

I have 202FA and 203FE. I do not use the fancy-schmancy metering in the bodies; i just use Manual or A. If that is the case, is there any difference in an E24 and an A24? I know you can set the ASA on the back with the E, but that's not a big deal to me. Fine to set it with the internal buttons on the body.

Are there any other differences to justify the much higher price of the E backs?

Thank you.

Mark Tucker

• 3 years later...

<blockquote>

<p>"Also, is it possible to remove this dark slide holder? I think it looks just plain ugly piece of plastic attached to a beautiful camera... "</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I appreciate Andreas' sentiment. In addition to some other wonderful features I, and many Hasselblad users love the system because it is beautiful. My most coy models open up for this camera. If you don't want that ugly piece of plastic on your camera start wearing a nice button down shirt and stick that dark slide in your front pocket. Best thing about button downs? When you get hot you can open up the top buttons and cool off quick - everyone loves a man who's willing to show some chest! It's the Middle Eastern look, it's the presidential visiting- hurricane-devastation look, it screams "I'm a hard working, serious, professional photographer who also happens to know how to loosen up a bit."<br>

And you'll know where your dark slide is.</p>

I did that once. Open the top bu... uhm... put the slide in the shirt pocket. The first time i went to take something out of the camerabag, bent down to do so, it fell out of the pocket and into the bag.<br>You can't argue with what a slide itself decides is the best place for it. So that's where the slide goes ever since.<br>;-)