Ebony 6X9 Wide angle lens

terry_hull

Anyone using a 6X9 ebony flat bed camera that can recommend a good

wide angle lens? My first experience with a Caltar was totally

unsuccessful. I currently have a 100 Schneider lens, and want to

something wider, but still have some movement. Thanks

I have an Ebony 23S and use a 65mm SA. I first had it mounted in a flat lensboard but it

seriously restricted movements. So I got a recessed board and aside from squeezing my

fingers into the recess to set the aperture, exposure time, etc., life is good. Well almost.

It is still hard to see the image well on the GG due to the fresnel being for normal to long

lenses (Ebony standard issue). This is especially true when using the movements. And this

is a �5.6. I can't imagine trying to use a �8.

I know how to cure this problem. If you are only going to use wide to normal lenses buy

Ebony's 6 x 9 wide angle fresnel. They do make very good fresnel and ground glass. My

problem is that I use several lenses from the 65 up to (so far) a 200, and there is no single

fresnel lens that I am aware of that works well with that kind of range. And that does

include Maxwell's... a rather expensive lesson.

I looked into buying a second back with a WA fresnel/GG but it was prohibitively

expensive. Maybe some day.

One thing I have not tried and am curious about is the Boss Screen (?) which, if I have the

name right, is a wax-like sandwich focusing screen without a fresnel. This might be a one

size fits all solution. But the trade off will probably be a less bright screen at all focal

lengths.

So you have two problems to solve. I hope this helps.

By the way, that Schneider 65mm multicoated SA is a really nice, really sharp lens. And it is

Wiiiiiiide on the 6 x 9 format.

Thanks for all the comments. I tried a 65MM Caltar, which left no room to do anything, granted, with a normal lensboard. Anyone use the 72MM focal length with the camera? I am trying to stick with the Horseman reflex viewer

Terry - I started off with my Ebony trying to use the Horseman viewer. I finally and

reluctantly came to the conclusion that it is unworkable unless I am willing to stick in the

middle of the range with one or two lenses. The problem with the fresnel and short lenses

is only made worse with a monocular viewer. And the same problem starts to materialize

with longer lenses buy the time you hit 200 mm.

Mark - MY SW23 has the frame of the Horseman viewer permanently attached to the focusing back, but the groundglass in the Horseman viewer has been removed. Works beautifully.

I also have the Ebony wideangle fresnel mounted. I use lenses from 47-180 mm, where the 47 and 65 still show dark corners with the viewer.

Terry - I use an Ebony SW23, it seems from the post that you are using one of the folding models, so my experience with wideangle lenses might not be relevant. Anyway, no need to put the 47XL on a recessed board on SW23.

Hi Ake. I am not sure exactly what you are describing. The frame of my Horseman viewer

was modified by Ebony to fit onto the Ebony GG frame. It uses the same mechanism that

holds the Ebony GG cover (flat black plastic) in place. The Horseman GG was removed.

There has been no alteration of, or addition to, any of the Ebony parts.

If I want to view the GG directly I simply remove the viewer to expose the GG. Is that not

how yours is set up? I assume the backs are the same between the 23S and the SW23.

By the way I use the back movements all the time.... For this reason I am glad I got the

23S. But I do wish I had purchased the 45S instead for the increased format flexibility.

There is little difference in weight.

How is your 180mm lens with the WA fresnel? In speaking with Ian Wilson I got the

impression that it would not work well with my 200mm.