Minolta IV F Light Meter

carl chandler

Hy there, can someone tell me how to use this light meter. I have a

hasselblab CM planar C 80/2.8 T* Lens, would like to shoot flower

photos at f5.6 or f8. I downloaded the manual for it, but cant make

any sense on how to set it . I'm able the select the shutter value

not the f stop. I have never used a hand held meter, so any help

would be appreciated.

Most light meters let you set the shutter speed- then it arrives at the correct f\stop. Once you get a reading you can toggle through the shutter speed and f\stop combinations to find the one that is to your liking. Make sense?

To my knowledge, only a few meters out there do both shutter speed and f\stop priority like you are talking about.

Carl,

This is the spotmeter I use. couldn't justify the cost of a sekonic. Turn it on. Hit the

memory clear ( M-CLR) key to clear it. Toggle the orange ISO/Time button so the screen

says time. Take a reading on a midrange area of your subject. Punch the up or down

arrow keys untill you get the f/stop you want or near enough. Screen will give you your

shutter speed on right side. The exposure will render a neutral shot of the area you

meter.

If you want to take a reading off a highlight or a shadow area .... take the reading then

push the H or S key to get the proper exposure decrease or increase so your highlight or

shadow will NOT be rendered 18% grey.

You can also meter a whole scene by taking a reading on a highlight then hit the memory

(M) key. Then shoot a shadow and hit the M key again. You now have the spread in f/

stops shown on your screen. You can toggle the up and down arrows to get the f/stops

you want. (the whole range moves up and down the range)

You can also hit the A key to get the f/stop exactly half way between the low and high

on the screen. Bracket your shots either side of this average (A) to get low and high

key shots of your scene. (also known as placing the exposure in the 'zone' desired)

gotta add ....

You'll need to do some experimentation. I've had the best success metering the area in

the scene closest to 18% grey. In my landscapes this is usually some light green grass. If

you are shooting macro type shots of flowers you could have a hard time finding what's

akin to 18% reflectance. A grey card could help.

Also I never use the H (highlight) or S (shadow) function of my meter. Being a slow, low

grain, tranny shooter it's just too iffy. I always try and find the 18% reflectance area in

my scene (yes I use a card if necessary) and this gives me the highest percentage of

success.

• 2 years later...