One lens, one slide film

I say go for something a little interesting. Personally I like lenses longer than 50mm for two reasons: abstracts/close-ups, OOF effects and perspective 'flattening'. Okay, so 3 reasons. ;-)

So why not have a 75mm? Either the Summilux or the CV 75mm f/2.5. Better portraits for a start. Personally I love my Nikon DSLR with the 50mm f/1.4 which gives the angle of view of a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera.

As for film... I'm not a big connoisseur of film and I don't think you should worry about it. Mind you for b&w work it's practical and rewarding to stick with one film for a while. Still, it depends on what criteria you want: cost, sharpness, availability, saturation, grain, 'signature', latitude...

Go for the good brands is all I can say.

Eduardo - In case you're finding Douglas Herr's lens choice a bit unusual, please understand that he's a remarkable street photographer. His technique is to thump passers-by with one of his long Telyt lenses, then photograph them as they either fall down or attempt to run away. Believe me, you've never seen anything like it.

In all seriousness, you must take a look at his portfolio to understand his choice(s).

Wow, you must really like Velvia to name your daughter after it....

<P>

As for me, I would 50 mm summicron and e100g. I love kodachrome, but it is such a pain

in the arse to wait two weeks to see the results. I can get a similar color balance and only a

touch more grain with 100G. It also stands up to projection better than kodachrome,

though it does not have the archival potential.