upon in this thread is their modularity and the ease with which they

can be customised. Already mentioned is the ability to swap between a

centre column and a flat plate, and an extra advantage is the ease

with which you can make custom plates; in my case for an antique

telescope and a big banquet camera, both of which require a wide

platform for lateral stability.

If you have access to a machine shop, and don't mind crouching, a

second option is to remove one or more of the lower leg sections and

screw a custom-made foot where the leg lock collar used to be.

Stripped down to a B1 on a flat plate and only the first two leg

sections, my 1349 is amazingly light and stiff, while remaining tall

enough to rise above grasses and bracken.

Those doubting that the price of carbon fiber is worth paying will

grouch that the above is true of Gitzo's metal tripods as well. But

for the larger sizes the weight savings become increasingly

significant and in my case it means I actually take a tripod on

outdoor trips where I otherwise wouldn't, or that I have a few spare

pounds in my rucksack weight budget for larger formats, extra lenses

or bottles of Bollinger.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I use a 1227 for view camera work (6x9 Arca and Toyo 45A) with good results. The only problem I found was the flimsy plastic top plate which introduced some flex between the legs and head. I replaced the center column with the short center column from the metal 2 series (since I certainly wouldnt extend the center column much). No change in weight, but significantly less flex!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I am not sure why every one is so concerned about tripod height. I have an 055B which I use with a 500 mm f 4.5 lens and rarely go higher than 2 leg sections extended. I will only go higher if I need to get above something or shooting something higher than me. I try to get down to eye level with the subject, I think it makes a difference, especially when shooting a 90mm long bird feeding in a low bush with the 500/1.4x, and a 50mmm extension tube. What exavtly is wrong with crouching behind a tripod. Keeping a low profile seems to help a close by subject relax. This is what I have found when shooting small wild subjects.

Now, really, Chris... Don4t you ever come across shrubs, grass, fences &c so that you must get your camera up to shoot over the junk? Don4t you ever find the only possible camera position where the tripod legs sink in water, mud, or snow? Most of us do, and THAT4s why we need tripod height, not to shoot giraffes!

• 3 months later...

I've solved the Gitzo problem. Here's the simple solution. When I have to leave the vehicle to walk long distances, I just invite a friend along who plays professional football. All he has to do is carry the Gitzo 410, the Canon 600mm, and a case of beer.

Methinks that some folks "protesteth" too much. It seems like some folks are trying to justify their "carbon fiber" purchase. I agree with Robert, ya can lighten the "load" somewhere else in favor of carrying the "right equipment" for the job. Yeah, I did live in Alaska for nearly four years and climbed two or three of the "hills" they have up there.... <g>

• 6 months later...
It is interesting that our tripods are getting lighter as (some of) our cameras are getting heavier. Hauling all the AA batteries and spares needed to power a sophisticated SLR might offset the weight savings of carbon fiber. Mr. Landry makes a good point, that beginners need to question and consider every part of a photographic system.

• 1 year later...
I finally decided to splurge about a year ago and got a Gitzo 1227. Originally, I didn't think I would like the twist-locks on the legs, but now that I have gotten used to them, I love them! It only takes about a quarter of a turn to loosen or tighten them, and they are VERY solid when tightened. The tripod is super-light, but rock-steady, easy to carry, easy to use, just wonderful. If you want to save some money, you can get this tripod from Robert White, a British company, for about $450, as I recall. Much less than anyplace in the states, even with the shipping and duties.

• 5 months later...

All this is so very funny to me! Sorry for the sarcasm. I own a Gitzo G1228G that is by far the best tripod I've ever got. It is so versatile that it can be easily back-packed anywhere, you can make a conversion to short column (for the US equivalent of $20 BUCKS)so that it can reach ground level and yet support weights up to a 500 mm/F4 (as several contributors had stated). It seems to me that this is THE ultimate tripod.

Why all this discussion?

Go out and by a G1228!! (or a 1227 if you need to speed up)

Also, I can't believe that most American photographers are so (no offence) square-minded about having to have eye-level tripod height?! You do have knees, don't you?

:)

M. Weber

• 5 months later...

Bought a 1228 when it was the first and only CF tripod out there, approx. 1996 or so. No glue problem, though I do photograph in Southern California. It is quite stable in sea-water, so when I go in the intertidal, I have no problems with any of it.

Re the tripod being to light, I bought a metal hook at a hard ware store for a buck fifty, and hang my backpack (Lowe Supertrecker AW) on it. Compared to the weight of the tripod, the backpack is MUCH heavier, so you certainly get the stability of a metal tripod. The pack usually weighs something like 30-40 pounds (never put it on a scale), I can hang the pack on the 1228 and nothing happens, no leg buckling, not sliding. Even if I use the centerpost -- I know, a nono, but just for the sake of it -- when the centerpost is tighly fixed, it stays right were it is. So the only problem with that solution is the small footprint of the leg section, and the legs sink in in softer soil types. Buy some rubber shoes for garden furniture at the hardware store for a couple of bucks, and you're back in business.

For full disclosure, what do I use on it? Linhof Profi II, Linhof quick release, OM4 with up to 300 f/4.5, Contax RTS III with Adorama x/y platform (much better than the shaky one from Velbon), 100 mmM with extension tubes plus stacked 50 f/1.4, Zeiss 180/2.8. So comparatively it's all light equipment, but even fully elevated with some hanging weight, it is rock-solid. I do contemplate the taller version, but first get a short column.

• 3 months later...

I stick a modified Cambo ball head and a Wimberly Sidekick on my 1228. Then I load it up

with a canon EOS10D with battery grip and my 500mm f4.5 and go out shooting wildlife.

Never had any issues with this rig and the 1228 seems more than capable despite my

'overweighting' it.

I might just say that the legs 'screw' locking mechanism is a bit of a pain when it's so cold

out that your hands burn and as any one who uses a Gitzo for photography as opposed to

being able to claim they have one will know cleaning the grit and dust out of the joints

after a week in the field is a pain in the ass.

Having said that I have had mine for 3 years now and wouldnt change it for any other.

Darren Green