Mamiya Universal Press Camera

jordan_f1

Not sure about that one but this is incredible:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3352&item=3865940649&rd=1

Ends very shortly. I have the money but it is really budgetted elsewhere. This is not my auction by the way. What makes it stand out are the very hard to come by 50mm lens and matching viewfinder, and the 6x9 back. I have not followed the prices of this stuff recently but a year ago those 3 pieces and the camera were worth about $750 USD. This one comes with 2 more lenses and 2 more backs. I doubt the bidding is over yet.

I did a lot of research on these a year ago and the 50mm is one of the sharpest lenses you can buy in medium format and one of the 100mm lenses is better than the other but I do not remember which one, same with the 150. The size of that 6x9 back is very alluring as well.

If you google you should find lots of info. Good luck.

I had one and it was a decent camera, although a real arm breaker. Its off center and heavy and you hold it with your left hand. Gees that other one will probably hit $700. Thats what i paid for my RZ II pro with one lens and a back. Personally i would rather have a rb or a rz unless you are after 6x9.

Oh well the press is a good camera, but i dont think it is as sharp as the RZ or RB. My press 50mm lens was sharp though. One thing to keep in mind, you have to sync the lenses to the rangefinder, so you just cant buy a new lens and shoot unless you have a gg back. Very versitile though with the 67 and 69 backs and what not. It has excellent film flatness too.

Does anyone have any info on the proper way to calibrate a Mamiya Universal lens with the rangefinder (step-by-step, if possible)? I'm looking for specific details on how to access the necessary adjustments, etc. on the internal built-in rangefinder, the external rangefinders for the 65mm & 50mm lenses, and the adjustment cam on the the lenses themselves. Thanks.

Hugh

The Polaroid version would only take the 75mm and 127mm. Both of those lenses are modern and thus multi-coated and available on the Mamiya Press mount as well. By buying a Mamiya rather than the Polaroid you also get access to the other "good" lenses of the Press family (like the 50mm, 100mm and the 150mm - the black versions of latter 2), which the Polaroid cannot mount.

If you desire a Polaroid back with the Press system then one should opt for the Mamiya Universal.

I have one, the Standard Press 23. They are fine cameras although mine is in need of a minor repair at the moment. I recently printed up some old negs, shot in 1984, on Ilford FP4 and Agfa 25. The shots on Agfa 25 are very detailed indeed. Compared to 35mm the results are astounding. I shall be glad when I can get it repaired so that I can start using it again.

• 1 month later...

Some clarification:

The Universal had a back that would take Polaroid backs, but it NOT the similar 600SE, a Mamiya Universal LOOKING camera with a distinct lens mount (meaning lenses aren't interchangeable)

It's true that the 75mm, 127mm (5" Polaroid standard) will completely cover Polaroid under all f-stops, but the 150mm will f/8 on down.

By the way, if you ever have a 50mm and 75mm but only the 75mm hood, use the 75mm hood on the 50mm without vignetting (and BETTER FLARE PROTECTION!)