Which Horseman Field is the best entry level camera?

alexander_szeto

which one is the best entry level camera? anybody has any experience

with one or more of them?

VH: 6x9 format, 3.7 lb

HD: 4x5 format, no back tilt/swing, no revolving back, 3.7 lb

Woodman: wood, light (3.1 lb), more movement but no fresnel lens

I will use mainly 6x9 format with a rollfilm holder

main use is for scenery, architecture, and still-life

will use one lens only, probably a schneider 75mm (with 6x9 format,

will be equivalent to 30mm in 135 film)

thanks

I love the VH. It won't go larger than 6 cm x 9 cm, however, so if you're thinking you want a camera that can also do 4 x 5, I would then get the Horsman FA -- same as the HD but with back movements, much more flexible. If I had a limitless budget, I would seriously consider the Ebony 6 x 9 cameras that can go wider than the Horseman. If you get the Horseman (or for that matter the Ebony), you'll also want the Horseman mono reflex viewer. I'd also recommend you get one or two custom fresnels made up by Robert Maxwell -- they make the camera pleasure to use, almost as easy as using a Hasselblad or other system medium format camera. Bill Maxwell (404) 244-0095; Maxwell Precision Optics; P.O. Box 33146; Decatur, GA 30033-0146.

I love my 980 HOWEVER, had I known more I would be happier with the next models VH or VHR with a rotating back. I have never used my rangefinder, so a VH would be great. I just had my first color trans scanned and printed to 17x22 and it was exquisite, sharp as a new scalpel. Thoughts of 4x5 do drift through the brain but then more difficulties of handleing and processing individual films keep me from that.

George Nedleman DDS

one other thought -- the silvestri bi cam is a great camera that will take the schneider 75mm. a lot of quality and flexibility in a very tiny portable package. saw their current output at photoplus east this year. much nicer than my aged hermes (now called the "H" is see -- very james bond!!). in view of your intended uses, silvestri my be just the ticket for you.

thank you very much

Howard, where can i find more information about fresnels made up by Robert Maxwell, how can i buy from overseas?

george, agree with u, so i won't go for 4x5 and just settle with 6x9

roger, yeah, i will look at the used linhof also; where can i get more information of silvestri bi cam ?

The VHR (range-finder version, which is the one I have used) is a lovely camera, and - contrary to what is told in above postings - it is possible to get a 4"x5" back for it. The whole 21/4"x31/4" - back is sitting on a large bayonet and is readily taken off the camera to permit Polaback as well as 4x5 back to be mounted. With this combination - You have a multi-format camera complete with technical back ("Technical" back is a back sitting on 4 lockable poles which makes an about ten degree tilt inn all directions possible). Midwest Photo Exchange often have these converting backs available. Quality of the VHR and the other technical cameras from Horseman is about the same as Linhof Technica's - that is - superb. However, the VHR have a better range-viewfinder than any Tech's in my opinion, but is not as wide-angle capable as the newer versions of the Linhof Technika.

I have used a number of Technika's (III, 70, IV and Studio) and Horseman (press, 970, 980 and VHR), but i finally settled down with a Sinar monorail for easier handeling, larger ground-glass, unlimited expansion-possibilities and (when packed togehter) acceptable backpacking capabilities (about 6 1/2 Ibs w/short rail). If You have not used one - I would advice You to try a capable monorail before using a number of $$K's on a smaller field/view camera. You get a used Sinar F for 500$ - comparable or less expensive than any of the field cameras You mentioned. Good luck!