jon_miller

Hi

I'm looking for a good enlarger lense that will complement my SL66

zeiss lenses (non hft). I 've narrowed my choices down to the

following lenses: Schneider Componon-S 80mm F4, Rodenstock APO

Rodagon N 80mm F4. I was told by a guy who worked in a camera store

that my zeiss lenses + componon - s will result in prints that are

too contrasty. I simply want an enlarger lense that will faithfully

reproduce the tonality and extreme detail in my negatives.

thanks

No argument here, with respect to Schneider vs Rodenstock vs Nikkor,

however that really depends on the size of the enlargement you make.

Lenses are designed for an optimal enlarging ratio, and that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even between their own respective lens lines. Case in point, the Rodenstock Rodagon-G lenses, which are optimised for extreme enlargements (murals, billboards perhaps, etc.)

Generally if you are buying new, get the best lens you can afford. I.E. the APO lenses from Schneider or Rodenstock. If this is not possible, get a quality six element lens from the above two manufactures or from Nikon. The APO feature is probably less important for B&W (especially if you put a blue gel in your grain magnifier and focus the blue light). Some people claim that there is a large sample to sample variation in the quality of lenses. I don't honestly know if this is true or not, but if it is a good EL-Nikkor might be the equal of a middling Apo-Rodagon etc.

I suspect that the variations have more to do with the orientation of the lens in the breech of the supergun used by the mail/courier services.

I bought a used 80 mm f5.6 El-Nikkor and am happy printing 6x7 with it. I do not make prints larger than 12"x16" due to space limitations. If you intend to make larger prints an APO lens or at least one that is optimised for your intended magnification range will make sense.

If you have not already heavily invested in your wet darkroom, at least give some thought to the digital alternatives. I love my medium format system, but 35 mm and a filmscanner gets the most use. If I could justify a MF filmscanner (not flatbed) and an A3 printer that is the way I would go.