Lens conversion problem

fisheye

I have a Nikon FM, D100 and several old Nikkor lens.

I'm really satisfied with old MF lens. It's beautiful. But my problem

is Non-Ai old Nikkor lens. Especially Nikkor MF 200mm f/4, It's surely

useless with my D100.

This is my question.

If I converted(convert to AI) my lens, could I use with D100??

Anyone know reliable service or self-kit?

I don't need an expensive option. Like a metering system.

Thank you for reading.

=)

Hello! I only have a D70 and think the D100 is equal in this case. AI or non-AI are the same for the camera (great!!). The metering system doesn't work, it requieres a AF or AF-D lens. But you can use these old lenses too. You can control speed and aperture with the help of the LCD monitor.

See this recent thread about possible hazards of using pre-AI lenses on modern bodies: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008rxz

If you look at my message at the end of that thread, I provide there a link to John White's site. John is one who does AI conversions. There are other folks who do this also.

Although there may be dangers trying to mount pre-AI lenses on D100/S2/D70 (etc.) bodies, once those lenses are properly converted they can be used with excellent results. Metering must be done manually, unless a further conversion is done (possible with certain AI/AIs lenses) in which a cpu chip is installed.....the chip then permits these lenses to meter as well.

I have never had any of my AI/AIs Nikkors cpu-converted, but I do use several on my S2 Pro with a handheld meter.....105/2.5, 135/2.8, and 200/4.

Hope this helps.

The D100 does not have an AI coupling pin, so converting a pre-AI lens to an AI lens does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the D100. Most pre-AI lenses will mount without meter and aperture stop down coupling on a D100 without issue with the aperture ring set to the minimum aperture; however, you want to do a quick check doing some measuring to make sure the body AF contacts won't interfere with with the inside of the lens mounting flange.

You either live without metering and aperture coupling (set the D100 to full manual, set the aperture on the ring, set the speed on the D100, set the D100 aperture to the widest aperture for the lens, and look at the histogram to see where the exposure landed), or you have to get the lenses chipped (various threads discuss this and it isn't cost effective except for the really expensive glass).

Thank you for all!!<br>

<br>

It's really helpful to me.<br>

As you can see, I already sent an email to John White and waiting response. <br>

<br>

And my Nikkor 200mm f/4 doesn't fit to my D100. I tried it. I alreday read a lot of articles from other websites (Warning, Don't mount! etc).<br>So I'll not try any more. I don't want to hurt my precious D100.

<br>

Thank you for all PN member!

Nikon AI lenses WILL mount properly on a D100, with some exceptions that have been noted in the user manual and reproduced in a recent thread. The D100 will indeed "index" the aperture and will stop down to the set f-stop correctly (and hence will work without your having to manually stop down the aperture), but you can't use the command dial, you must set the aperture on the lens ring the old-fashioned way. But AI lenses will NOT meter on the D100; to obtain metering function you must get a matrix metering chip added.

Rolland Elliott is still the person to contact about this (at the web address given by a previous poster); it costs $80 plus shipping and handling, so it's really only worthwhile for a fairly expensive lens. I have an older Nikkor 400mm. f5.6 ED lens that was pre-AI, and Rolland did the AI conversion plus matrix metering conversion for a "package" rate which was, as I recall, around $110-120, I can't remember exactly. It took a long time for him to get to my lens, but he did a good job and the lens works splendidly on my D100.

To summarize, there are 2 different issues when considering using older Nikkors on the D100 (and similar bodies):

1. Will the lens *mount safely*? Answer: AI and AI-s lenses will mount safely. Pre-AI lenses may NOT mount safely. However, most pre-AI lenses can be physically converted to make them safe to mount. (John White is one who does these conversions: http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm)

2. Assuming a lens mounts safely (that is, it is AI/AI-s or has been AI-converted as in #1), will it *meter*? Answer: The older Nikkors will NOT meter unless they have been fitted with a cpu chip. (Rolland Elliott does the chip conversions: http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/NikonFAQ.htm) Not all Nikkors can be fitted with a chip. See Rolland Elliott's site for a list of those that he can install with a chip.

New metering system for my lens? Hmm That's sounds good to me.<br>

But I don't want to spend more money for that. (I bought it on ebay<br> for $70! It's really cheap!) 80$ for new metering system. Nah...<br>

<br>

I can use old world style metering system.(Using my brain)<br>

<br>

Thank you anyway!!