Macro combinations � please help

linda_pullman

Sometimes I want to take portrait close-up shots (e.g. eye, mouth). I

have Sigma 50mm macro lens but I need to be very, very close to an

object to shoot what I really want. Longer focal length macro lenses

are expensive. Therefore I think about buying some extension tube and

attach it to my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L or 70-200 f/4 L lenses. Will I

have nice results with these two lenses and extension tube? BTW, I

have film cameras, but mostly work with 10D.

Thanks for help, Linda

Yes, Linda, extension tubes on your 24-70 and 70-200 will allow you to get close-up shots that in all likelihood will be very satisfactory. Although a true macro lens will do a much better job for two dimensional objects, your other lenses will do fine for three dimensional objects.

The Canon "Lens Work III" book has a table which list magnifications of the various lenses with the Canon EF 12 and EF 25 extension tubes. Data is not included when both tubes are used together. Using Kenko tubes will yield similar results.

Here's the data for the EF 25 tube with the 24-70 lens: .75X to approx. .40X

and for the EF 25 tube with the 70-200 lens: .39X to approx. .13X

Hi Linda,

On this very rare occasion I have to disagree with Bill.

The 24-70 is basically unusable with a tube the subject to lens

front element distance is VERY short. I don't have the 70-200 f4

but on the 70-200 f2.8 both the 12mm and 25mm tubes work

well and give you a useful working distance.

The more popular option for zoom lens macro work is the front

mounted 500D macro lens, this just screws to the front of your

zoom and you have a high quality macro zoom. It's reasonably

priced aswell.

Take care, Scott.

Linda,

Scott is right, if you're not satisfied with the working distance with a 50mm lens, extension tubes on the 24-70 are not likely to solve your problem. With the lens at 70mm and 68mm worth of Kenko tubes your working distance is within a couple of inches from the front element (with a film camera, it'll be a bit more with 10D since you don't need the same magnification, but will still be pretty close to that Sigma).

Linda

First you can get a very good idea what will work by cutting a cardboard mailing tube to 12 or 25 MM and just holding the thing between your lens and body. Not real good for shooting but it will give youa fine idea of coverage. You can also make a experimental tube with just a strip of construction paper 12 or 25mm wide made into a loop. Again just hold it between your lens an camera. Obviously you won't get autofocus, or control your f-stop but you will be able to see your coverage angle and working distance.

Another thing you might do is

check out the canon site and look at the specific lenses. On the USA site for example go to http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lineup/telephotozoom/index.html

under the accessories tab you will find the magnification for a 12 and 25 mm tube. It tells you almost what you want - the coverage but not the working distance. I think you will find that your 24-70 will work with a 12mm tube but leaves you almost as close as your 50. I don't have that lens but I use the 28-135 with a 12mm tube frequently. I think you will find that your 70-200 will work nicely. I suggest getting a kenko rather than canon brand. A set of 3 is less money than one canon tube. A Kenko 12 might be just what you want - $59 in NYC. Hey, these things are just fancy hunks of pipe not optical units. Hope this is useful, or at least fun