Slim filter for 16/17-35/40 f2.8/4L - Canon Tech

lance_morgan

This has been asked and answered on this forum before, if it's okay to

use regular filters with these lenses.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008gHZ&unified_p=1

says yes

However, I just got off the phone with Canon Tech, and they stated

that the super WA zooms need a thin/slim filter to prevent vignetting...

I specifically would like to get either regular (non-slim) Hoya SMCs

(77mm Haze UV(0) Mfr # X77UVGB) or B+W MRCs (77mm UV Haze 010 #

66070252), and some of their 81 series warming filters

I just wanted to confirm the basics, before ordering a small slug of

these ;-), that folks shot a light box, clear blue sky, uniform tone,

etc, WO, and then critically evaluated the results (one review

reported some corner drop off with the 17-40, without any filters)?

Thank you,

Lance

All wide angle lenses have some drop off in the corners. That's not to be confused with vignetting, which is caused by some object intruding, such as when the wrong lens hood is used.

The Canon tech was most likely expressing his opinion, not Canon's policy. Lenses from reputable manufacturers, even Wide angle lenses are designed to accept at least a single standard filter without vignetting. Otherwise they would not put filter threads on the lens. I own the EF16-35mm f/2.8L lens and the instruction booklet that came with it did not state that only thin filters can be used.

However, Canon does not recommend stacking filters on this or any lens, although you can get away with it especially if you do use thin filters If you prefer to use thin filters, there is nothing wrong with that but be aware it is not really necessary.

My only recommendation is to buy quality filters. If you prefer thin filters, I can heartily recommend the Hoya SMC Pro 1s. They are super thin and have a front thread that accepts Canon lens caps. Many prefer B+W MRCs. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I put NO weight in anything a Canon tech says anymore. I have called to ask them about Canon-brand filters and had to point them to the B&H web page because they didn't believe Canon even marketed the product I was calling about.

I currently have a B+W Multicoated MRC UV filter mounted on my 17-40 F4L that causes no shading at all, and the mount is fairly heavy and wide, not to mention expensive. The instruction manual for the lens does say only one filter at a time can be mounted.

I think I saw the post from the guy who says he had shading problems without any filters. I can only report on one lens, and mine does not with one filter mounted at all.

Thanks for the responses. For those who are using the regular thickness filters (I'm not even sure how many mm s that is, and likely varies a bit between brands), I assume testing has been done @ WO & full-frame (unmounted slide or full-frame slide mount, full neg, or uncropped sensor), to get a baseline for any corner drop off, then adding a reg filter to test for vignetting? If some are adding both a reg filter and a slim, without reported problems, sounds like a reg filter alone will be A-OK

Be aware than many of the slim filters sacrifice the ability to mount other filters to them (by not having female threads - My Tiffen is this way). What makes this significant is that you will no longer be able to attach your Canon lens cap, as the lens cap has nothing to hook onto.

Just a brief follow-up. I haven't gotten developed E-6 back yet (which may be more revealing) but, just using the viewfinder (1V), my new 17-40 drops out very slightly (as has been previously reported in a review or two), without any filters, at 17mm & WO. Literally at 18mm or 19mm FL, there is no discernable dropout visible.

There is no difference when adding either a regular (non-slim) Hoya SMC UV or a regular B+W MRC F1 (the former ring thickness appears to be approx 4.5 to 5mm; the later slightly slimmer at 4mm); i.e., no discernable vignetting

In actual use, I think there would only be concerns w/full-frame slide mounts or ff digital (both or which may valid concerns for some applications) - but it appears to be the lens & WO drop off, and not the use of one regular filter & vignetting