dartlrt

Hi there,

I've been shooting some college basketball, but am having some

problem getting the camera to fire at the prime moment I want. Last

night I was shooting with a 50 1.4 lens under the basket. My ISO was

800, with around an f/2 to 1.8. I was also shooting in AI focus. I

would be focusing on the player driving for the basket, but as soon

as I move the camera to follow him up to the basket the camera won't

fire for about a second. Like it was at of focus and searching.

Does anyone know of some different setting I could use or a different

technique. Thanks!

Philip Johnson

You might try AI SERVO mode rather than AI Focus. My understanding of AI Focus mode is that the camera must achieve focus first, just like one-shot mode, THEN, if the subject moves, it switches to AI Servo. My guess is, that in AI Focus, you were not getting focus "lock on" in the first place.

With AI Servo, the camera does not have to achieve focus for the shutter to fire. I've had good luck using AI Servo photographing fast sports. The only problem is that if another player gets in front of your subject, the focus is thrown off. Hope this helps.

Phil

I'll suggest manual focus. Pre-focus where you expect the action to happen. With as little light an wide aperture, you'll have to be pretty exact, though. Assuming that you are using probably high shutter speed to freeze the layup (or rebound or block), and even higher for a dunk, I am not sure if you can cheat by ussing narrower aperture. Also, how close were you to the action?

I'll be shooting (pictures of) basketball on Jan 31, will provide some feedback from my experience.

Thanks for all your good advise. I will try both the AI Servo and manual focus tonight. I would feel better about manual focus if I had a spilt image screen like I have on my pentax, but the 10D doesn't offer that option. Thanks again.

Philip Johnson