Leitz Telyt-S F1:6.3 800mm - Anyone ever seen one?

rokkor fan

Hi all,

I just discovered that the Leitz Telyt-S f/6.3 800mm was made

available in Minolta SR mount direct from Leitz dealers back in the

70's. I would be very interested in hearing more about it, and if

anyone has ever used one, what the quality is like. Apparently it

was only three elements in one group!

The same source of info told me that Leica actually included a free

Volkswagon Fox with the lens as an advertising gimmick in the US

market so I imagine it was VERY expensive. Can anyone tell me what

they cost originally and what the value of such a lens would be

today?

Just interested, I imagine I would never be able to contemplate

purchasing such a lens.

If found please follow the following instuctions for it's use.1)DO NOT use in public.2)DO NOT use in a third world country.3)DO NOT wear camo.type clothing.4)DO NOT point it at anyone who has a weapon.5)DO NOT use it any where near an airport or military base.Following these careful instructions for the safe use of the 800mm.F6.3 telyt.When it was designed and made, the world seemed to be a much more sane place.Today,it would be mistaken for a SAM launcher or an RPG.Ruins your day to have bullets removed from your backside for just taking photos.In trueth,the pictures I saw from it where pretty good as long as it was a cool day and no wind atmospheric haze played havoc with this lens.

RokkorFan,

a Telyt-S 800 with original case was sold for 3010 euros (*bay Germany, late

November 2003). The seller described this lens as absolute clean with tiny scratches

where you mount the tripod. I saved the *bay-page as pdf - mail me if You are

interested.

Excuse my poor English, Georg.

To add my two cents worth.... Al Kaplan was correct, under the original Leitz/Minolta agreement. Leica offer their 800mm f/6.3 Telyt-S in a Minolta mount and Minolta offered their 800mm f/8 Mirror-Rokkor in a Leicaflex SL-2 mount. I do not think Leica ever sold any 800mm lenses in a Minolta mount. A few 800mm Mirror-Rokkors do exist.

Many years ago, a dear firend of mine bought an 800mm Telyt-s lens. I won't tell you the price, you'll cry. He made his reputation in the Associated Press photos with this lens. We worked a political convention together one year and I had a chance to shoot a roll with his lens and compare it to my Canon 800mm f/5.6 in a Leica R mount. The Telyt was as sharp at the Canon but it had a slight edge on contrast and obviously the color balance was an exact match to other Leica lenses. My Canon was a tiny bit warmer. I came to the conclusion while the Telyt was a better lens, it wasn't that much superior for invest $5,000.00 for me to get one. Happy Snaps, Sal

Nah its puny compared to the <a href=http://www.ozdoba.net/nikon/nikon_superzoom.html>Nikon 1200-1700/5.6-8 ED P</a>. 880mm (34.5") long, 237mm (9.3") diameter, 16kg (35.2lb) in weight! This thing could be mistaken as AAA to a military pilot in flight.