Folding cameras vs. Rolleis

patric_dahl_n

Victor, yes I know about the T, but it's very difficult to take vertical 4,5x6 shots with it. The same goes for the Rolleicord Va and Vb. I'm VERY satisfied with the results of my Rollei's, especially my 3,5F with the six element Planar. I don't do any color enlarging myself, so if I want a rectangular photo, I must give a pro lab instructions how to crop it, and that costs. Oh well.

Dan, I have a Voigtländer 6,5x9 Bergheil with an excellent Heliar lens. I have tried to find a Rada or Rollex rollfilm back that fits this camera.

Mike, that's a nice photo! Plenty of details! Sure I would like to see the other photos you mention!

As a "way out there" suggestion, have you looked into the Polaroid 110B conversions to 6x9/6x12? The Ysarex in the Polaroid was supposed to be a nice Tessar, and in theory the front standard on those polaroids is far more rigid.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

But you know, a 2x3 press camera with the better ektars is a less expensive and more versatile camera.

<p><em>This photo is equivalent at this resolution to 22 inches x 34

inches.</em></p><p>I don't understand statements such as this. The

image is 2572x1696

pixels (and very splendid, though I have to say that I'd prefer it

unyellowed). Now, to look at one dimension, 2572 (pixels) divided by 34

(inches) is 80.4. The other ratio works out at 77.1. Even if we round both

to 80, what's particularly significant about 80?</p>

If a folder is what you want...

Have you tried a Polaroid 180 land camera with 665 film? It yields not only a polaroid print, but an actual negative that can be used for enlargements. As I recall from the last time I use one, the lenses were pretty sharp on these pro cameras (180, 190, 195).

Just a thought.

tk

Patric: Three photos. All handheld. All from the same roll of Agfapan 100. I guessed on the focus, but measured the exposure with an older Weston II Master selenium meter.<p>

These links will launch a new browser window.<p>

<a href=http://pages.prodigy.net/mm-elek/cameras/kickball.jpg target=_new>Kids kicking a ball - 114k</a><p>

<a href=http://pages.prodigy.net/mm-elek/cameras/livingroom.jpg target=_new>A friend's living room -- 115k</a><p>

<a href=http://pages.prodigy.net/mm-elek/cameras/group.jpg target=_new>First Communion class -- 163k</a><p>

If all you want is sharp 6x9 on a budget, the Mamiya Super 23/Universal is a great answer.

While their 100/3.5, 90/3.5, 127/4.7 and 150/5.6 were merely decent, good stopped down, crummy wide open (about standard for Tessars, which they all were), the 100/2.8 (Planar clone) and 50/6.3 (Biogon clone) were truly outstanding, the equal of any modern lens save for coating quality.

The more common "M" series backs, while ugly and a little clumsy, have very good film flatness due to the fairly straight film path. (The uncommon Singer-made "G" backs, were, as with most early reverse-curl backs, truly horrid.)

The rangefinder is plenty accurate, although you need to be vigilant about keeping it adjusted. I love shooting my 2.8 wide open, and any focusing problems are mine, not the camera's.

What you don't get are metering or double-exposure prevention, but judging from your rogue's gallery list that won't be a problem for you. At least you do get auto spacing with most of the backs.

Plus, it's a complete system, with extension tubes, ground glass back, and Polaroid back available, and Linhof-style tilt-only back movements on the Super 23 and Press Deluxe. There's even a coupled 250/5, the longest coupled rangefinder lens I've ever seen. (and the largest--5 lbs!)

• 2 years later...

Ross Ensign cameras with the Xpres lens (a five-element version of the tessar) have a

different arrangement of struts and are a lot more positive and rigid than other folding

cameras. You may find them better than others. I had a late build 6x9 Super Ikonta with

Tessar lens and it was unimpressive.