Old Honeywell Pentax 1/21 Spotmeter

robert_steckmeyer

The little triangles are, if I recall correctly, the IRE (television) dynamic range indicators. If nobody else is more confident, I'll try to find the manual for mine.

The 9 volt battery is in the handle, under a door which only opens after the neckstrap swivel has been unscrewed. Bear in mind that the smaller cell for this meter is supposed to be 1.35 volts (mercury) rather than the 1.5 volts (silver oxide or manganese alkaline) that is usually listed as a substitute. I have heard bad things about the Wien zinc-air substitutes, and would like to hear from someone who has used one of the C.R.I.S. Camera Services mercury cell replacers in this meter.

And you are fortunate, aside from mercury cell problem: this is a fine

instrument.

• 3 weeks later...

What a coincidence!

I too, have an old Honeywell Pentax 1/21 Spotmeter, which I've had for many years and only used sporadically, I'm in the process of trying to figure out how the thing works and if it is acurate or not.

After replacing the 9V batt.I receive no reading unless I push the "L" button, and it activates the lower (dim light)scale.

I was advised to buy the Wein MRB625 battery as a replacement for this meter and am actively searching for one.

How do I switch between 1 and 21 degrees?

• 2 months later...
robert i am considering buying one of these and if you do a search you'll see this battery issue addressed with some interesting solutions. Also it has been suggested tath Pentax are very good about making available old manuals, you might try them. I shall if i buy it.

• 1 year later...

Download the manual at:

http://www.pentax.com/docstore/file_save.cfm?thispath=cat%5F201%5C&file=1%20degree%2021%20degree%20Meter%2Epdf&app_id=1

note that the filename doesn't have the necessary extension at the end of it, so you'll have to change the filename to end in .pdf (it's an acrobat doc). All these questions are answered in it. No offense, but it took me only a few seconds to find the manual by googling "honeywell pentax spotmeter." A lot of questions can be answered this way in less time that it takes to type out and post a question.

• 7 months later...
I am another owner of a Honeywell Pentax 1/21 Spotmeter. i have the same problem trying to find a battery.i put in the 12 volt battery and the meter does respond to light. another problem is that i need a scale illuminator button someone just put clear tape over the hole..it was missing when i got mine off ebay.(live & learn) does anyone know where i could get a used or new ,old stock one? appreciate any help at all. thank you. Glenn