Compact Flash Memory or MicroDrive?

jim_mueller2

I know a MicroDrive is nothing more than a tiny hard drive and it's

going to be slower than Compact Flash Memory. In real world use,

does it matter? I plan on buying a 10D very very soon and I want to

order the best storage device with it. A MicroDrive is cheaper per

megabyte but it's slower and may breakdown easier. I plan on buying

about a Gig of storage with my 10D. What is the recommended media?

I have a couple of microdrives and a 40x 1 gig CF card. The microdrives have worked flawlessly but they are quite a bit slower than the CF card. This sometimes drives me crazy when waiting for the play back after taking a series of pictures.

You seem to know the pluses and minuses so I think you just need to decide what's more important to you.

Some of the latest MicroDrives are rated for a 1500G drop. If it's true, that's pretty impressive.

I've read that they are destroyed by dropping, but I've read quite a few folks saying that they've dropped their's and it's not a problem. There must be quite a few dead ones for the fragile reputation to develop. Or is this just another example of internet hype?

How about it? Anyone got one they dropped & couldn't get to spin again?

I'm thinking of getting a 2.2 gig unit for $180. The 512 Meg CF card I have is NOT enough.

Why not break up your (possibly) precious photos into volumes of 512mb (or less)? As a news photog, I use the 512s, rather than risk a days shoot to a microdrive. I recently used a microdrive from someone elses system, and it was very slow compared to my Sandisk 512s. Most news photogs I work alongside don't use microdrives in the field.

So they are a lot slower, and probably more delicate (at least they have more moving parts). Lets add into that the specifications regarding altitude. They use air bearings, and at or above 9,000 feet air pressure may be low enough that they will grind themselves apart. Depending on where you live that may not be to unusual.

I went for a decent (Sandisk Ultra2) CF card.

It has now become an 'urban myth' that Microdrives are fragile. This goes way back to problems when first introduced. Drop any type of card on a concrete floor and it will be down to how it lands that will affect damage. If you have the 'Laurel and Hardy' gene that makes you drop things, try a cheaper hobby. If you need writing speed, for sports photography etc, go with a CF card. If not a Microdrive is fine, and a bargain for memory.

I've had the 1Gb MicroDrive for a year now and use it with my D60. As suggested here the only drawback is if you take a full 8 shots as fast as the camera can allow then you press the PLAY button it does take a while before the playback is displayed.

However, 1Gb of space is fantastic, I use the battery grip with an additional battery and I can shoot all day :)

If space is a concern and the odd time you're prepared to wait after lots of shots to play back, go for the Microdrive. If you want things a *bit* quicker but carry cards round with you, go for the solid state. I only own the one MicroDrive.

I believe there are 4Gb drives out now!!!!!!!

I have had no experience with Microdrives but have heard of breakage issues. It all depends on what you shoot, how fast, and if you can risk loosing images. Oh, and of course how much you want to spend...

I also would second the idea of multiple cards. I work with in advertising and the ability to dump a card to your machine and have another ready is helpfull. Plus if you toast a card (this happens if not disengaged and cleared from the reader correctly) and have to re-format, splitting shots between cards is smart.

CF card speeds vary considerably. Don't buy on price alone. Rob Galbraith has a

CompactFlash Performance Database on <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007">his site</a>, based on real-world tests of most brands and models of CF cards, in a wide range of cameras.<p>

And Chris David, re your comment that you used to hold microdrives in your teeth while changing them: If you needed more bytes, wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a larger capacity drive?