500 mm F4 lens in Yosemite in January

Mike D

I will be traveling to Yosemite in late January. While carrying

wide angles and moderate telephotos is a must, is there any reason to

carry a 500 mm F4 telephoto. Previous posts have indicated that

there is little wildlife in Yosemite in January and the lens is

relatively heavy even on short hikes. Can anyone share any successful

experiences carrying a 500 mm at this time of year?

I'm not sure about the amount of wildlife there at that time of year, is that all you would use it for? if not then take it with you, the lens can't do you any good if it sits collecting dust.

Michael-

I know that you will hate this answer as much as I do, but here

goes- It depends!

You can expect elk and more in the vicinity of the north entrance,

but don't overlook the chance for buffalo in the main valley. I also

would expect to use the 500 a lot for landscapes, especially

across open meadows in which the long lens will help you

flatten and compress relief in the meadows themselves.

Carrying a 500 can be problematic, but it can be done if you

realize that you will need it. At the very least I would have it in the

car and accessible. If you don't have the means to carry it or a

safe place to leave it when not needed however, a big lens can

turn into an anchor that will prevent you from exploring more

out-of-the-way locations.

A bigger issue, irrespective of your lens choice is your tripod.

You will have great problems with the legs sinking into deep

snow unless you improvise something on the order of the

baskets at the end of ski poles. I have talked to the

Gitzo/Manfroto reps and a few others at various shows about the

issue but none have bitten yet. For winter photographers, don't

you think an accessory set of baskets would sell at least as well

as the spikes now available for some Gitzo models?

Hank

As Hank says, it depends on your particular situation, of course. I am not going to tell you not to carry your 500mm because you'll blame me if you miss some shots without it. However, I kind of doubt that a 500mm would be very useful in Yosemite, especially in January.

I don't know where you are traveling from and what is your mode of transportation is. Just this past week we went to Arizona, including the Grand Canyon South Rim. Since I was driving, I brought my 300mm/f2.8, knowing that I probably wouldn't use it much. It turns out that I never used that lens even once in this trip, nor the 1.4x TC I brought. It was a bit of a hassle that I had to carry an extra big lens in and out of motel rooms and make sure that it wouldn't be stolen, but otherwise, it wasn't a major problem. Had I been flying, I wouldn't have brought the 300mm.

If I were you and if I am driving to Yosemite, I probably would bring the 500mm. However, I wouldn't go hiking with it because it will more likely to be a hinderance, especially if you are wearing heavy clothing walking in snow. In case something totally unexpected comes up, you know that you can get it from your hotel room or from your car. Sure, a 500mm sitting at home won't help you get good pictures. However, an extra 10 pounds dangling from your shoulder could also be a hinderance that prevents you from taking good pictures.

I haven't been in Yosemite in January, but if I had to make a guess at to what type of birds you may well see there...

Stellar Jays, Grey Jays, Clarks Nutcrackers, Chickadees, Nuthatches, etc.

'Sometimes' winter conditions can make these guys especially easy to photograph near lodge/camping areas due to food locality. It's possible you could come up with some excellent bird/snow photos if the conditions were right. I'd have an extension tube handy if you try for that (depending on min focus distance of your 500mm).

Of course there could be some chipmunks and squirrels hanging around too. So, if it was me, I would have the lens along and take advantage of easier opportunities as they arise. Enjoy!

Buffalo in Yosemite valley?? I don't think so unless they've imported them since my last visit! Maybe you were thining of Yellowstone?

My experience has been that a 500mm lens would have limited use. Not no use, but unless you are a real die hard wildlife photographer the weight and size might be better left home. Personally I think I'd take a 300/4 + 1.4x if I wanted to travel relatively light. That would take care of 90% of what I'd expect to see.

Whatever lens you take (or leave home) there will always be one of two photo ops you could have taken advantage of if only you'd brought a longer lens!

I'm sure Hank misthought(?) Yellowstone for Yosemite in his answer. Having been up there (Yosemite) in winter, it really does come down to what you might want it for. Besides the birds mentioned, you would undoubtedly come across deer. The deer are out in much of the valley especially in late afternoon so they would be a reasonably sure thing. I'd think you may find other more inviting subject matter. I've been on cross-country ski jaunts or snowshoe trips (out of Badger Pass) that stirred up coyotes (and seen them in the valley) but keeping a 500 available for "just in case" is a real stretch. It really does come down to deciding if you want to take it and deal with it.

That's what I get for talking on the phone to a friend in Enis,

Montana, while reading and posting. Embarrassing!

Yeah, for many situations the 500 would turn into an anchor on a

trip to YOSEMITE, but I find that a long lens is occasionally very

useful for extracting elements for scenic shots, or especially for

flattening images. I would probably go somewhere other than

YOSEMITE if your principal interest is wildlife.

Having said all that, if your time allows I would give some

serious thought to adding Death Valley to your itinerary. It's a

great place this time of year, and as a matter of fact the wildlife

opportunities are surprisingly good if you keep your eyes open. I

got some of my best-ever coyote photos not too far from Fiery

Furnace, and in fact he eventually approached closer than the

minimal focusing distance of my 500 f/4P. I also did some wild

things with the 500 on the salt flats, where heat waves were

shimmering up in the late afternoon.

Enjoy your trip to YOSEMITE!!!!!

Hank

In January the coyotes are mousing in the open fields. If you want to shoot them in mid-jump, a 500 would be about right. Most people think of wide-angle for Yosemite, so you may want to shoot it with a 500 so your images will have a different perspective; you just may enjoy the creative process of shooting in a way that others generally do not.

>>>I got some of my best-ever coyote photos not too far from Fiery Furnace<<<

Hank, let's try this again. Do you mean Furnace Creek? I agree, it's a good place in Death Valley for Coyote.

For the original question, IMHO a heavy 500mm lens isn't going to do much good on hikes in Yosemite but in the valley you may have good opportunities for mule deer and coyote. Birdlife will be scarce in January. For hiking I prefer a lightweight 400 with a shoulder stock rather than a hefty tripod-dependant 500 f/4.

"Birdlife will be scarce in January."

Oops! Sorry about that! I lived in the Klamath Basin for several years and got used to seeing common bird residents throughout the winter season. I guess Yosemite really is quiet.

Regards,

Greg

Yeah, I was referring to Furnace Creek. Fiery Furnace is

vernacular among a group of friends with whom I have shared

DV experiences. Especially in the warm season, it just seems to

fit better. BTW- This past November and December we got

some terrific images of desert bighorn elsewhere in the park.

Interestingly, while my 500 was useful for portraits, the best

photos came with an 80-200 f/2.8, the wider persectives of which

allowed more interesting and informative compositions that

utilized the landscape, rather than eliminated it. No, you can't

see the sheeps' eyelashes in the images, but there can be little

doubt about the wild setting and lack of chain link fences!

Hank

I would make a specific trip to Yosemite Valley any time of year (but winter is really good) to use a 500 f/4 lens. Primarily for "visual extractions," but also for wildlife & birds. January in Yosemite Valley can be fantastic as you've read from previous posts. It can also be gray & drab. Fog & low clouds hanging around in the Valley create some beautiful light.

You don't mention where you're traveling from, but if this is a one time deal that you won't repeat for several years, bite the bullet & drag the anchor. I have been known to take a trip specifically to try a technique or use a single piece of equipment. Alas, I shoot medium format & there isn't an equivalent to a 500 f/4 for my Bronica.

I realize that your question pertains to Yosemite specifically, but it has caused me to ponder a basic philosophy I have in regards to long lenses and wildlife photography in general.

My plan when traveling by vehicle is to have the lens on the body and ready to balance on a car window (or collapsed tripod) at a moments notice. There have been so many times that I have seen really cool animals and birds while on remote roads in situations that are completely unpredictable. I have missed some shots by trying to exit the vehicle and scaring away the bird/animal that would have stayed put had I stayed inside. I'll even shoot through a window if I have to and hope the depth of field will nullify any effects. Granted, wildlife photography is my greatest passion, but I'm figuring that someone with a 500mm prime may well want to have it ready to go as opportunities arise.

In conclusion, the only reason I can imagine to leave that type of excellent lens behind is for concerns about equipment safety. It doesn't necessarily need to be carried in on a hike to prove its worth.

Sorry to delve off subject a bit... I'm sure Yosemite will be beautiful. California is such a great place to roam around and there are so many different environments to experience. Yes, DV sounds like a winner too. Again, enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...