What diameter and filter size for Rodenstock 150s?

ruslan safin

The Rodenstock APO Sironar 150 S weighs 230 grams, takes 49mm filters, and covers 231mm.

You might want to try using a polarizer instead of a red filter. It will give nice deep skies, without losing detail in other colors and in the shadows. Or, if you want very deep sky values, a polarizer plus a yellow or orange filter. With a polarizer, you can rotate it to select the depth that you want.

To be sure you get the right size, you have to exactly match the name of the lens. Rodenstock currently makes two lenses in each of these focal lengths and has made others in the past.

Both current 150 mm Rodenstocks, the Apo-Sironar-N and Apo-Sironar-S, take 49 mm filters. Some discontinued 150 mm Rodenstocks took different size filters. The 90 mm f6.8 Grandagon-N takes a 67 mm filter, the f4.5 version a 82 mm filter.

Modern practice has standardized on one filter thread for each filter diameter, so all modern 49 mm filters have a 0.75 mm metric thread. So if you have a Rodenstock lens that takes a 49 mm thread, any 49 mm filter should fit -- you don't need a special LF filter. Many decades ago this wasn't true -- there could be two different filter threads for the same filter diameter.

If you want to use a filter on both of your lenses, one possibility is to buy just the large size and to use a step-up ring on the lens with the smaller filter diameter. However, 49 to 67 mm is a big step and it might be tough to find a step-up ring that makes this large of a step. Another possibility would be to do make the jump using two step-up rings.

In the case of my lenses, it's the filter sizes. Either that, or a lucky coincidence :-)

For example, my 305 G-Claron, 110 SSXL have 67 on the inside of the lens cap, and the 150mm Sinonar has 49. So my Rodenstock and Schneider lens caps match the filter ring size; not sure about my Fuji lens tho.