Camping in Rocky Mountain and Yellow Stone NP in late June.

mr._shy

Hi, We plan to camp in Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton NP and Yellow

Stone NP from June 19 to 25. My only concern is the wether condition. Is

it cold then? What sleeping bag should we carry? Which camping site is

good for photography? We have a 3-year old kid with us. Anybody has

the experience?

Thanks in advance.

You might get fresh snowfall at higher elevations but as far as Grand Teton and Yellowstone are concerned I'd expect clear roads and mild weather in the campgrounds. I doubt you'll get any freezing temperatures.

<P>

What kind of photography are you interested in? I'm a wildlife guy so in Yellowstone NP proximity to Lamar Valley was a priority. Slough Creek campground was ideal for me. It's first-come, first-served but it's rather primitive so it may not be ideal for camping with a three-year-old.

Mr. Shy - i dont know where you are from, but you may not know that you can easily spent that time in just one of these locations and still only see a fraction of what there is to see. regarding temperatures you will be able to pick "spring"-time according to elevation, especially in the rockies, for the lower altitudes in the tetons it may already be a little late for spring flowers. pick the altitude of the campground according to gear. yes inquire locally about the road conditions in the rockies at high altitude. the kid will just love it. take warnings about bears serious. bring plenty of film (or silicon).

cheers

walter

All major roads in Rocky Mountain N.P. will be clear of snow by that time in June. Although, there will still be some snow on the ground at higher elevations and on the north slopes. The park service always makes a grand effort to have Trail Ridge Road open by Memorial Day weekend. It would be a rare occurance if it is not open by the third week in June. The only road that might not be open at that time would be the Old Fall River Road (dirt).

They are doing construction on the road to Bear Lake. Staring in May, it is closed at Sprague Lake. You must take a shuttle bus if you want to go up to Bear Lake. Its worth it. Hike to Dream and Emerald Lakes, but go VERY early to beat the crowds - like 5:00am when the busses start running).

Even though day time temps are usually in the 70's, it gets chilly at night in June - possibly 40's or 30's, but most likely not freezing. It is rare, but it does snow in the park in June, so be prepared.

The drive-able part of the park is not that big, so camping anywhere inside the park is great. But you should already have reservations. Spots fill up very quickly. There are lots of places to camp in the surrounding area. Enjoy!

It has been awhile ago, in 1998, but we were there in the 3rd week of June and the roads were just clear of snow.

The weather was mostely nice and sunny during the day, but we had frost and snow overnight.

As we travelled by motorhome, we stayed in Fishing Bridge RV Park. Very nice, but you can't stay there in a tent, I believe hardsided caravans & RV's are allowed only, because it is bear country...

I would bring good insulated matts, dawn sleepingbags and functional, all-season outdoor clothing.

As for camping with a 3 year old, I am not sure that I would go for it. I'd rather rent a hut or a room in one of the lodges...

Enjoy the trip!

Oh ya, Trail Ridge road is usually open on Memorial Day. But in many places it is almost like driving through a tunnel with 10, 12 or 16 foot walls of snow piled up at the guard rail! Very fun if you've never seen anything like it before.

And just to let you know, they are getting fresh snow as I write this. It was even snowing at my house (down in the Denver area) this morning. But it is not sticking to the ground - melting as soon as it hits.

By late June though, most, if not all, of the snow at the lower elevations in the park (ie. where the campgrounds are) will be long gone.

Thank all for your valuable suggestions. I did have reserved the campsite

in RMNP (glacier basin) and Yellow Stone (Canyon Village) without any

knowledge of the altitude or night temperature. Hopefully that is OK.

But the campsite in Grand Teton is first-come-first-serve. We will reach there in late afternoon. I wonder if we can still find one site at that time.

Any idea about that?

Glacier Basin campground is a bit higher than some of the other campgrounds. I would suggest bringing 20-degree bags and a good insulated ground mat or matress; bundle the kid up well. It will probably be in the thirties to low forties in the morning, maybe colder. On the bright side, it's right near the Bear Lake Shuttle stop, so you'll be good to go when you wake up in the morning - just hop on and head up to the lakes!

Most of the campgrounds at RMNP have something to offer. At Aspenglen (at the Fall River entrance) and Timber Creek (on the West side of the park), if you camp on the edge of the campground near the meadows, you can often see wildlife in the morning. Moraine Park campground has some decent scenery and is on the Fern Lake shuttle route IIRC. Longs Peak tent campground will be full of hikers - I have no idea how anyone ever gets a spot there :-) Moraine Park and Glacier Basin are busier campsites than the others; Timber Creek is large but its location generally means lower use.

With luck you'll be in Grand Teton on the weekdays, and can possibly eke out a spot at a campground. As a previous poster stated, the NF campgrounds might be your best bet, at Antelope Flat or up in Gros Ventre.

At Yellowstone you'll want to drive just about everywhere. Which campground is best depends solely on your preferences. When I camped there about the same time of year, we woke up to low forties for temperatures. YMMV.

By the way - in Colorado we like to use the phrase "dress in layers". Bring everything from shorts to sweaters. I usually dress with a T-shirt, fleece liner and Goretex shell, and pack a sweater just in case; unneeded layers go into the backpack. It can be cold and windy up above treeline, and storms can come up suddenly.

Was in Yellowstone and Tetons from mid-June to late June last year. If last year and previous years is an indication, you should have no problem getting in to the main campground in the Tetons if you are there in the morning when folks are pulling out. Yellowstone on the other hand is usually busy. I have always preferred Pebble Creek on the NE side and have always gotten a site that time of the year. I like Peeble Creek because it is close to prime wolf watching and out of the way of the main loops and traffic. You should have a minimal 20 degree bag. The last few years we've been there it was down to freezing most nights. Last year it snowed so heavily on the first day of summer they actually closed part of the park. If you need further, don't hesitate to e-mail.