Equipment Shopping in Hong Kong?

danmerkdotcom

FYI, my daughter brought me back a Holga outfit from China last year. It's a medium format plastic diana camera, but she brought me back the fancy one with a flash and booklet, etc. It was about $70 US dollars and I haven't seen the same here. Since I'm a stickler for sharpness (always F/22 with large flash on med format camera), it was a shock. I call it my "arty" camera, because of the soft focus.

You'll get the best deals in Mongkok, but you might run into communication problems, if you only speak English.

In general stay away from Nathan Road, although there's a good used shop with lots of exotic gear right next to the Hyatt on the Kowloon side.

My favorite place to buy film is on Stanley Street in Central -- first shop on the left. A real nice guy. Also on Stanley Street are several other shops, including one near the escalator that has a lot of used gear. There's also a Leica store with a mix of new, used and commemorative gear.

Also, in Lan Kwai Fong, there is CAPA above the Nakamichi store. Prices can be high, because he caters to Japanese businessmen.