RZ 67 vs RZ67 Pro II

william_burgund

Right now I can buy an RZ67 used in 9 cond. in a kit with a RZ 90mm/

3.5 in 9 cond. and the WL finder and 110 back for $1500. Or, I can

buy the RZ67 Pro II kit new for $2800.

I don"t mind spending the money for the Pro II if it is that much

better. I know what the differences are but in actual use are they

worth the extra money? I would appreciate your opinions, please.

1. I was unaware that Mamiya made a "110" back for the RZ67. :-)

2. The way to think about photography is this: as equipment gets arithmatically better in terms of features, it gets geometrically more expensive.

3. I would get the new stuff and get the 110mm f/2.8 instead of the 90mm. But I just like the little added touches on the Pro II.

Hi Bill,

Both RZ67 Pro and RZ67 ProII are good. I have the ProII, bought brand new, and like it very much when I don't mind towing the set with a sturdy tripod for landscape shots. The newer model has slightly improved features like half step shutter speeds, fine focusing knob and better fool-proved warning light/signals. Other than this, the two are the same same. I'll choose the newer 110/2.8 which is a great lens.

However, for about $2,000 I'll suggest you look at Robert White in UK (www.robertwhite.co.uk) as you can get the basic Pro II combo (i.e. body, WL finder, 120 back and 110/2.8W) for GBP 1,300+/-. For this price, why are you buying used older model?

I just bought the RZ67 ProII Kit (new) from Robert White last week. It arrived last Monday. The exact price is 1315 UK Sterling Pounds (~1900 US Dollars). I have no experience with the RZ67 but so far, I love my RZ67 ProII. Been running Provia 100 through it but without a scanner, I can't post any example.

If you're considering going digital, some backs only work with the Pro II and not the earlier revisions.

Given that most digital backs are 10 times the price of the camera, this may not be much of an issue, but I figured I'd mention it just in case. That way you can check and see if the back you may use deals with the older design.

William,

I faced the same quesion about a year ago- I even rented each for a day to see if the II was really worth it. For me (Landscapes and wildlife mostly), the differences were too minor to mention. I went with the older RZ, used in 9 condition. With the money I saved I got another lens, also used in 9 cond. I've never looked back. I love my RZ, and I'm certain that I use and appreciate the extra lens a heck of a lot more than I would the minor additional features of the II. But of course-as always- it's a personal decision.

Fred has a good point about the 110 - check the archives of MFD for some great info re: selection of appropriate lenses for the type of work you want to do. Make sure the 90 is right for what you want to do and fits into a strategy of complementary lenses for future purchases. If it's not: if you're buying from a used dealer they will sub another lens if they have it (mine did).

Good luck, either way you'll love the equipment.

• 1 month later...
I just checked out Robert White's site in the UK and am very intrigued with the thought of making my purchase through it. Are you guys making your Robert White purchases from the USA? Is there any physical difference between the Mamiya Rz's manufactured for Europe vs. the USA? Meaning down the road, will I have trouble having it serviced or buying accessories? What kind of Custom's tax did you have to pay to get it here? Thanks for any input!!!!

I purchased an RZ Pro kit on-line last year from Robert White and two additional lenses about 3 months ago. I gotta say I saved a ton of money. I live in Atlanta GA so there was no duty to pay on cameras for personal use. The credit card charged me an extra 2% for the international purchase and shipping was about 75$.

It's the same camera as those sold in the US but US Mamiya dealers will not honor the warranty, however; UK dealers will (specific dealer contact info and warranty card is packed with the camera just like US). I've never had any problems with my unit but if I ever did need warranty work I figure I can easily swallow the additional shipping cost having saved hundreds on the original purchase.

Robert White's service is excellent. I got my camera and lenses in 3 or 4 business days (faster than anything I've ever ordered from B&H) and they followed up with an email to see if I had received everything.

This was my first international purchase on something this exspensive so I was a little aprehensive to take the plunge until I was comfortable that it was indeed a reputable business. My father remembers purchasing equipment from them on behalf of the US Air Force during World War II.

Considering the current exchange rates, I wouldn't buy "new stuff" anywhere else at this point.

I bought the RZII Kit and the extra 50/4.5 ULD lens from Robert White but I lived in Canada.

There is absolutely no difference between cameras/lenses sold in UK or Canada (I assume same is true to USA) so you can buy/use any accessories in USA to use in the UK imported RZ Pro II.

I only paid GST (sale taxes) and no custom duties and again same is true to USA.

I've heard that Mamiya USA is notorious in servicing Mamiya stuff which are not sold by USA authorized dealer. I e-mailed Canadian distributor who confirmed that they will do repair job with standard service charges. I've never tried but the stuff from Robert White carried UK warranty. In case I need repair during warranty period, I can send it to Robert White and they will take care of it. Again, I've never tried shipping stuff back to Robert White, there are quite a lot of positive comments on their after-sale service.

So give them a try!

• 2 months later...

I just sold of my Sinar 4x5 system and based on the recommendations here and elswhere I just ordered my RZ Pro II from Robert White as well. They have a special going right now, a brand new RZ Pro-II, 110mm lens, and two 120 backs, plus shipping, came to out to less then $2,100.00 us ! ! ! !

That is only about $200.00 more then I could buy an equivelent used system off of ebay and less then I could buy a used system from KEH.

The security of knowing that my system is brand new and not something that has had hundreds of rolls of film run thru it is well worth the $200.00.

Life is good, ( in part, thanks to this forum )