ISO: Digital equivalent (or better) of the F100

jbass

I am considering a DSLR & was looking for some input in regards

Nikon's line as to what would be the digital equivalent (or better) of

the F100 ? Any rumours regarding what could be in the pipeline from Nikon?

-thanks

James

I presume you refer to build quality. The D1 cameras share the top plate configuration with the F100, but the body is constructed more like an F5. If you want rugged, metal construction, look no further. The D2 is much more advanced, internally and ergonomically. The power-up time and shutter lag is comparable to the F100 - negligible.

The D100 and D70 resemble the N80 and N70 respectively, and are mostly plastic. Power up and shutter lag are problematic but manageable.

Best of all, there are no "gottcha's". For example, the D70 doesn't remember certain important user settings when the power is cycled. The D100 won't shoot if the control dial is in the ISO setting position. The D1/D2 controls are up front and intuitive, and the settings are saved.

The image quality between the D1/D2/D100/D70 cameras is similar, and is very good: better than 35mm in most respects, according to the people than own them. I concur. If you don't need the build and speed, why spend the money for a pro camera?

I am not privy to any advance information from Nikon. I can guess, like a lot of other people, but why bother?

"For example, the D70 doesn't remember certain important user settings when the power is cycled. "

Erroneous contention. I've cycled 28 thousand photos through mine, and all settings are retained on poweroff, including currently selected aperture, all other shooting settings, and all CSMs.

I've handled a D2H but never shot with it - from that stand point I'd say it's probably the closest. I bought a Fuji S2 a year ago and it's not in the same league in terms of autofocus and viewfinder size/brightness. I shoot mostly digital but love to work with the F100.

Of course, the D2H has a higher fps rate than the F100 - wonder if we'll see a D2X sometime this year? Truth is nobody (outside of Nikon) knows until it's annouced. Then comes phase two of the waiting game...

I goofed on the D70 speed. I was thinking about the dismal performance of the D100. I did get the plastic part right. I also got the part right about the retention of settings. It's in the review in the home page of Photo.net.

"...However after going through and setting these overrides, they are forgotten by the D70 as soon as the vari program dial is changed, or the camera power is cycled."

Edward

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have changed most of the default settings on my D70 and have never had to reset any of them after turning the camera on and off. Occasionally this is to my chagrin when I forget to reset the ISO to 200 or to remove exposure compensation...

I've seen the review. He's talking about the "vari-program settings". I hadn't noticed since I've never used these settings, sticking with A or M modes for the most part. I suspect anyone who consistently relies on such settings is probably not spending a lot of time refining them. If they really wanted that kind of control, they would be shooting in a mode other than program. The whole philosophy of providing such ready-made settings is counter to the desire to override the camera.

For serious adjustments, like focus mode, autofocus area, metering mode, center weight diameter, grid display, exposure compensation, flash mode, bracketing, AE/AF coupling/uncoupling, sensor sensitivity, auto-ISO shutter speed settings, image review, noise reduction, saturation, sharpness, contrast, etc., all changes are maintained despite power on/off.

The review states:

" Similarly in automatic flash mode, the built in speedlight will wait quietly until the shutter release is depressed, at which point it will pop open and release a burst if necessary. This is startling to say the least, and annoying if fill flash isn't desired. To be fair Nikon has provided the ability to override the autofocus mode, and flash automation in each of the digi vari-program modes. However after going through and setting these overrides, they are forgotten by the D70 as soon as the vari program dial is changed, or the camera power is cycled. After doing this a couple of times, it is easy to give up and stop using the vari programs at all."

I guess my take is, if you don't want the flash to pop up in an unexpected and annoying fashion, you probably shouldn't be using "AUTOMATIC flash mode".

But maybe that's just me...

Edward, Mr. Jackson is correct, if you stay with M, S, A, and P modes, the only ones that I use, the custom settings "stick". It's only when you use the "canned" modes that the camera resets and even then, it only resets the values that are effected by the "canned" modes. Since I have never liked yielding choices like shutter/aperture to some "canned" mode I have never used these modes, even with my film cameras.

Power on and shutter lag for the D70 is nearly instant, I really cannot tell any difference between the D70 and my F5, they are both very "quick". Maybe a lab can measure the difference, I know that I haven't lost shots waiting for the camera and I am getting so spoiled that I find my old Olympuc C-2020 almost unuseable.