Extra day between Page AZ and Phoenix

susan_beveridge

In early October, I will be attending a photo workshop in and around

Page, AZ for a couple of days. The last day of the workshop, Sunday,

we will finish at sunset at Wutpaki (not sure I'm spelling that

right). As far as I know, we will also be shooting both Antelope

Canyons, Lake Powell and Horseshoe Overlook.

My flight home leaves from Phoenix at 9:30 Monday night, and I will

have a rental car. That leaves monday sunrise, day, and sunset.

What would YOU do with the extra day? My parents will be with me,

but they are pretty much content to hang with me while I shoot or

explore on their own while I hike.

I thought of maybe splurging on a dawn hot air balloon trip in Sedona

(fun for all 3 of us), doing a jeep tour (customized to photography

if I can find a good company who will do that) or else a hike in West

Fork of Oak Creek Canyon, and visiting red rock crossing at sunset to

see what all the fuss is about (if there is water there in

October?). Is this realistic? Is there other stuff you would

recommend in addition to or instead of?

I tried to arrange a Canyon X day trip (I really love canyons), but

the operator is off on a trip that day. Rats. I'm most interested

in red rock, not so much in pine forests, aspens, wildlife or green

meadows.

I wish I had a week or two in that area to really experience it. My

goal for this one day is first and foremost to have a wonderful

experience and have a glimpse of a beautiful place, second to have

photo opps. I am not intending to "cover" the area at all - that

will be for a later trip. Maybe I will just go to one single

location for the whole day, to have a better opportunity to

experience it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hi, Susan,

In late June, I did the Page, Arizona thing...and was able to go on the Canyon X tour (by changing my schedule). I am unsure about your schedule, but could a side-trip over to Monument Valley be worked in? About a two hour drive from Page to stay in Kayenta on Sunday night. Monument Valley is open 8 am to 5...but can be open at 5 am if you can arrange a Navajo tour guide to provide you access at that time. There are links to Tour Guides in photo.net, but I can warn you against one semi-famous guide who tried to do a "bait-and-switch" with me. But, I thought Monument Valley had wonderful landscape opportunities, and wish I had more time there. Of course, you would then have the tough drive from Kayenta down to Phoenix.

Robt.

After leaving Flagstaff you can drive down state route 89 ,which goes thru oak creek

canyon,where you can shoot slide rock ( a smooth rock slide,although not alot pf people

will be there at that time of the year. I would go down I-17 to schnebly (sp?) hill rd and go

down to Sedona that way. Its the spot where the best red rocks are. Their sould be good

fall color at that time of the year. If you wanted to shoot apens in gold ,go west of

Flagstaff toward the snowbowl ski area,Hart Prarie is a beautiful area,although there will

be many photographers there on weekends. Good luck and Email me is you have specific

questions.<div>008q13-18764084.jpg.5fb35a9b35dabc0497d93377e31bd5c1.jpg</div>

For unhurried shots and fun, for you and your folks, I'd go to Sedona. Plenty of red rock all around, great food (always a consideration on my vacations). I set up my tripod on a restaurant patio, ate and shot some nice sunset stuff

Two tips if you haven't been there: you need a parking permit to park by the roadside (available at any convenience store) and that great church is NOT a sunRISE shot, trust me.

I would echo the comments about Sedona; however some facts that haven't been mentioned yet: Wupatki is practically in Flagstaff, maybe 20 minutes north of it. Sedona is another 45 minutes south of Flagstaff, depending on the route you take. From Sedona, it takes 2 hours to drive to the Phoenix airport, and you want to leave another 2 hours to turn your car in (it is off the airport), take the bus over, and get through security. Cathedral Rock is best in the last hour before sunset, so you may want to check your sunset tables. You can probably just do it at that time of year, but it will be close. Use the south approach (Verde Valley School Road) - it will give you a direct shot at the freeway to Phoenix.

Monument Valley is pretty much out of the question - too far to drive and see much worthwhile in one day, even if you drove half the night to get there.

East end of south rim of Grand Canyon (great shots from old watchtower); Sunset Crater (extinct volcano and lava field); Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff (canyon and archeological site); Montezuma's Well (unique lake surrounded by high natural stone walls) and Montezuma's Castle (adobe dwelling in cliff side), south of Flag; and maybe check out the listings in the AAA travel book on Arizona.

Thanks for your answers, everybody.

I think based on these answers that we'll go Ballooning at dawn, drive around on our own during the day, maybe go to Oak Creek Canyon, then to Red Rock Crossing for as long as I can afford time-wise. Luckily, I won't have to drop off a rental car, as we will be in my parents' car, so that should shave a few minutes off.

My dad is also interested in the bi-plane tours. (He's an antique airplane buff). Good midday activity.

Who knows. These plans will probably go out the window as soon as we get there, but it's good to have a game plan to start from at least! ;-)

Thanks again!