not produce good results with this particular brand of monitor -

both Gretag and Iiyama are aware of the problem but are currently

unable to offer a solution."

I have been unable to find any more information on this via Google

and wondered if anyone here knew anything more? After all, its not

as if IIyama can have much influence on the core display

electronics, that is surely all bought in from NEC/Mitsubishi as

part of the tube assembly. Does this mean that Eye One doesn't work

well with NEC/Mitsubishi Diamondtron based monitors either?

Anyone out there with good/bad experiences of Eye One and IIyama?

Hello Stephen. I do not know if this helps but I use an EyeOne with my old NEC XP21 and it does a fine job. I also am confused by what you mean by "color confidence site". I tried to search for that but did not have any luck.

It is true that the EyeOne (or any similar product) will do a much better job if you can attain the desired color temperature by adjusting the monitor's RGB guns individually rather than by presets. I would think that most high-end monitors have that capability.

Why not call or write Gretag? Regards.

The Colour Confidence note about problems with the Iiyama monitor reads:

"This is due to the monitor having a 'high brightness' feature which affects the Gretag software whilst making the profile. The software is fooled into thinking that the brightness is not correct and the resulting profile profile produces very dim, dark results that are not satisfactory."

All I can say is that I am not getting very dim, dark results on my Pro 450. However, I cannot find any mention of a "high brightness" feature in the user manual.

Ahhh, thanks John I didn't see that on the shop webpage for the product, that just had the warning when I looked. Apologies to everyone I should have posted a link, but didn't think, my thanks to Jesper for doing that. I thought the "high brightness" function was part of all the new Diamondtron tubes from NEC/Mitsubishi (e.g. as found in the Pro454) and that you had to explicitly switch it on, i.e. I thought it was intended for improving the brightness and contrast when watching DVDs, not for normal desktop use. In which case, if you don't have it switched on it is not a problem. That is unless IIyama have been stupid and forced it on permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an IIyama monitor with the high brightness feature, but as Stephen says you have to turn it on. When I first received the monitor I was confused about when to use the high brightness setting, and whether to profile with it on or off.

I have always left it off, and only use it occasionally as an editing aid.

However I would be interested to know what IIyama & Gretag think the problems are with these monitors, I have always found it difficult to set the Brightness on mine when using Photocal to calibrate it. I always end up setting it to 100%, which I am not that comfortable with.